Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Purple Stars

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BMCEO

BMCEO Report 1 May 2020 10:28

This is a very basic question for you regular users, but not for a 'lockdown larry' like me.
Can anyone tell me how to switch off the purple stars from my family tree ?

Many thanks in anticipation.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 1 May 2020 11:00

If you didn’t put them there, you have no control over them

Why would you want to remove them? Are they causing serious problems?

They are there for the purpose of alerting you to possible record matches, which is potentially useful.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 1 May 2020 12:14

If they're seriously bothering you, ask support @genesreunited.co uk (if only for an official answer to your query.)

Under normal circumstances they usually reply within 3--5 working days - I don't know about now.

But I don't think the purple stars are removable, so don't expect GR support team to help.
The stars are intended to be helpful, even though they're usually not.
The supposed matches are only people with the same name and year of birth as your relative - so they're not helpful unless your relative has a very unusual name.
Just ignore the purple stars - I do!

Inky1

Inky1 Report 1 May 2020 12:37

This is another part of GR software that is no longer functioning as it should.

Me. You have 64 Tree Matches. 34 show up.
My father. You have 21 Tree Matches. 16 show up.
My mother. You have 2 Tree Matches. 3 show up. 2 have the correct surname and one does not.
My aunt. You have 11 Tree Matches. 10 show up. 8 have the correct surname.

For my mother and her sister the other surnames start with the correct spelling, with additional syllable(s) tagged on.

From memory these stars used to indicate both tree matches and records???????

So like the Curates Egg it is “good in parts”.

[ From my tree: Wade also returns Wadeson and Wadey ]