Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adding from another person's tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michelle

Michelle Report 5 May 2020 22:33

Hi,

I've found a huge section of our family on someone else's tree that they've shared with me. Is there a way of importing them all into my tree, or do I need to do it one-by-one?

Thanks
Michelle

greyghost

greyghost Report 5 May 2020 22:41

Welcome to the boards Michelle.

Unless the tree you're looking at has proof of all the births, marriages, deaths, addresses etc do not copy it. People make mistakes, often quite bad ones. Use it to perhaps guide you, working backwards from a known point but always, always make sure you've proved generation to generation. There are trees out there where anything goes as long as it "fits" and you might find Granny born after you.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 May 2020 04:08

................ or that your older brother has somehow become your father, even though it is obvious that he was only 10 years old while your joint mother was 36 when you were born :-| :-P

That happened to me!!

Never ever copy from someone else's tree, whether on here or any other genealogy site.

As greyghost suggests, use the information as a guide to help you, but do NOT add anything to your tree until you have found at least 2 documents such as birth certificate, marriage certificate, parish register, etc.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 May 2020 08:23

Also, remember that you’re not allowed to include in your tree on GR any living person who hasn’t given you his or her permission to do so.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 May 2020 15:13

In any case, there's no way to copy/import from one GR tree to another.

There used to be, years ago, via a "clipboard" facility - but that's been done away with.

You'll just have to enter each person's info manually, if you do decide to do that, after consideration of all the advice above.