Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Tree maker

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Roy

Roy Report 1 Aug 2020 01:15

Hi guys I am just in the process of trying to find a tree maker, if you use FTM can you please tell me what you think of it.

Roy

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 1 Aug 2020 07:10

I use a very old version of FTM (2005) and it is really easy to use. I would recommend it but I don't know what the up to date version is like although I would imagine that it is even better with more features.

Kath. x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 1 Aug 2020 12:21

It depends what you're looking for. You need to ensure that any system you choose is 'right' for you.

Kense

Kense Report 1 Aug 2020 15:12

I use FTM2017 mainly as a backup for my Ancestry tree. if I can no longer afford the Ancestry sub then I will still be able to see all the images of records appended to the tree.

It is also useful for standardising sll the place names on the tree.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 1 Aug 2020 16:34

I use FTM 2005, like Kathleen, and it is fine. As far as I know, the later versions are similar, but with more features and lots of extra "bells and whistles"!! In other words, what the manufacturers like to describe as new and improved - oh, and "exciting" :-S

One main difference between FTM and many others is that it is not a download. It is a CD, so you always have it in its original form, no matter how many updates they do.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 2 Aug 2020 10:20

Actually there is a choice,you can buy it as a CD or a Download.
My last two 2017 amd 2019 have been Downloads.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 7 Aug 2020 22:00

I've been using FTM for a good while, just the free version. It's good for making FT charts, you can print them off.