Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Brutally honest

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Sep 2020 14:17

Researching a distant twig of my tree, I've just come across a wonderful birth registration for 1867 in Dumfriesshire, which states:

Mother ********** ******************, wife of *********** ************, who she declared, is not the father of the child, and furthermore declares that he has been resident in Ceylon for the past nine years

Love it!!!!!

The only drawback is her failure to identify the actual father.............

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Sep 2020 14:32

I have subsequently found the Decree of Divorce, and the husband's Declaration of Bastardy relating to the wee boy.

He obviously didn't think that leaving his wife and two sons for nine years - during which time one of his sons died - was a fault!

mgnv

mgnv Report 21 Sep 2020 17:53

Check the child's marr & d.certs - the father might be named on those.

E.g., my gg grandad was named on my g gran's m.cert (her b & m both occurred in ABD).

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 21 Sep 2020 19:17

I have a few Scottish births like that where the mother declares that her husband isn't the father of the child.

I also had a death where the informant was a son but with the mother's maiden surname. I spent a long time looking for him assuming he was an illegitimate child born before her marriage. I enventually found that he was born a couple of years after she was widowed. The birth was registered in a small village so the registrar probably knew that her late husband couldn't have been the father so the birth was registered in her maiden name although it did give her married name too.