Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GR Tree help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gee

Gee Report 24 Apr 2024 14:42

Hello

I have an updated Ged file from Ancestry and am trying to upload it to my tree on Genes. I know how to upload it but when I try, I keep getting an error message that says, the error has been logged with Genes.

When I upload a new version of my tree, do I need to delete the older version first? I thought it might automatically delete the old tree and replace it with the new version?

Thank you in advance for any help

Gee

Gee Report 24 Apr 2024 14:52

Oh my days, I've just found this information!

"To load your file onto the site, click on the Family Tree button at the top of your homepage, then select Import Gedcom from the drop-down menu. This will take you to the import gedcom page. The site will add and update relations in your tree from information exactly as it is stored in your Gedcom file.

If you upload your Gedcom file and the data is not displayed as expected in your tree then normally this is a result of a corrupted Gedcom file. We suggest that you open up the file with your family tree software programme and check the data. Please also make sure that the family tree is correctly exported as a standard Gedcom.

To avoid accidental overwrites first you must delete your existing tree in the account section.

Once this is done then you will be able to import the new tree, but you can only upload one Gedcom per registration.

If you import a file for one branch of your family and then import a second file, the first one will be automatically deleted and it is not possible to retrieve the data"

So, when it states 1 Gedcom per registration, is it the initial Ged file and that's that or if I delete the initial Ged file, can I upload 1 more Ged file meaning I still only have 1 Ged file!

So, confused

Gee

Gee Report 24 Apr 2024 15:11

No way!! Found this too, which seems to contradict the information above

Delete tree
Remember: If you delete your tree, all records and photos that you have attached to a relation will be lost and cannot be retrieved. You do not need to delete your tree in order to import a GEDCOM file, you can simply upload and new GEDCOM and the new file will override the old tree without the loss of photos and attached records.

If you still wish to delete your tree, click here. You will be asked for your password again to confirm this action.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 24 Apr 2024 15:27

So you deleted both your original posts and started again.

If you continue to have problems then you will need to contact support.

Gee

Gee Report 24 Apr 2024 15:52

I have not asked a question about adding a new updated tree to Genes R. I have asked about software to enable me to open a GED file, of which there appears to none!

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1402671

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 24 Apr 2024 15:57

Contact support...........and you may get a response this year ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

Gee

Gee Report 24 Apr 2024 16:21

Hi ErikaH

Rather than wait for Genes to reply

I decided to take a risk and deleted my tree from GenesR (I thought I still had my Ancestry tree if all go's belly up)

Voila, sorted :-D

Gee

Gee Report 25 Apr 2024 15:11

Oh dear it's me again!

I managed to sort the updated tree yesterday. The layout is showing, horizontal for my maternal side BUT horizontal for the paternal side.

Is there a way of changing the paternal line to sit horizontally?

Thank you :-S

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 25 Apr 2024 18:25

I assume the paternal line is "sitting" vertically - but I'm not sure what you mean, Gee.

Which "view" of the tree are you looking at?
Immediate family; Ancestors; Pedigree, or Full?

Gee

Gee Report 26 Apr 2024 12:49

So sorry ArgyllGran I did mean vertical for the paternal line!

I've tried all view types and the paternal line is vertical in all.

Gee

Gee Report 26 Apr 2024 13:12

I don't think I'm very good at this!

I had looked at all the viewing options but hadn't noticed the arrows which allow me to expand the tree.

However, when I expand the maternal line (all good) then go to expand the paternal line, the maternal line reverts back to pre-expansion :-(

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 26 Apr 2024 14:00

I think you need to email
[email protected]

They'll take several days to reply.