General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone know about Anglia Research

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BarryByTheC

BarryByTheC Report 4 Sep 2009 20:57

Does anyone have any experiences with Anglia Research Services, based in Ipswitch. Are they genuine? Heard a lot about inheritance scams, and extremely wary of replying to these people, let alone signing anything from them. Their letter and form looks genuine, but I find it hard to believe it is.

Has anyone had any experience of this company - good or bad?

Thanks

Lady Cutie

Lady Cutie Report 4 Sep 2009 21:31

Barry By The C ,
If you put Anglia Research Services into Google
you can read about this company .
Hazelx

BarryByTheC

BarryByTheC Report 4 Sep 2009 21:49

They appraoched me and I ignored them, and they have tried again. But unless I am confident they are above board I won't contact them I don't think. I have googled them but not seen anything they wouldn't want you to read. It's probably not that difficult to place stuff on the web you want people to find if they google?

They claim to charge 25% of what you get, but I suspect there is a catch in this somewhere. This is the agreement they ask you to sign:-

1. I agree you shall receive a fee equivalent to 25% (plus VAT) of the share that I receive from the estate as and when it is received.

2. I instruct that your fee shall be paid to you directly by the Personal Representative or their appointed agent and that you should receive a copy of the Estate Accounts.

3. This agreement is binding on my heirs and assigns.

4. I understand that nothing is payable to you if I should fail to receive a share of the estate.

5. I shall not be liable for any debts of the estate nor any of the estate taxes.

1, 4 & 5 sound good - but are they as good as they sound? 2 & 3 I don't know about. Has to be a con surely!

Barry

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 5 Sep 2009 00:22

Barry, when you watch Heir Hunters they go and see the people and tell them about their inheritance and then they have the choice to sign up or not, and sometimes the families or the one person decide to pursue the claim themselves, so if you have been told you have an inheritance, then they should give you the details and the choice whether to sign up or not. If you feel confident that you can handle all the legalities etc then you can pursue the claim yourself. I am in Norwich but think I have heard of Anglia Research, not sure whether it was on the Heir Hunters programme or elsewhere. I haven't seen the people on H.H. sign for anything before they know about the details.

good luck, hope it's a nice inheritance.

Lizx

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 5 Sep 2009 02:12

Hi Barry

If anything is coming to you you should be able to look the name up and claim for it for yourself. At the very least go to your citizen's advice.

3 times someone in my Oh's family died intestate.....by the time the solicitors or those who said they would represent the family, took their share, which was a huge chunk ( under the excuse that it took a long time to research ) there was very little left of the estates and the solicitors etc got a bigger chunk than any of the family.

BarryByTheC

BarryByTheC Report 5 Sep 2009 11:20

The letter that comes with the agreement doesn't actually say I should sign the agreement, but pointedly states it is enclosed. But until reading your posts I hadn't really twigged the distinction.

I cannot imagine Anglia Research giving me any names or details without me signing first , because otherwise I could just benefit from the work they have done and then tell them I wasn't interested.

I'm not up for dealing with the legalities myself though.

Food for thought indeed.

Thanks for all your help.

Barry

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 21 Jul 2014 19:45

The OP is 5 years old Gary....were you doing a search to find this thread?

Gary

Gary Report 21 Jul 2014 19:54

Yes Susan I was. Thanks a lot for the help. :-)