General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Re: Contacting relatives

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Eileen

Eileen Report 12 Apr 2014 12:19

I have been trying to contact my niece, who I believe has her tree on this site with my sister's name on it.
There is no reply.
Does that mean that she is no longer a member of Genes Reunited and therefore does not get any messages?
It's very frustrating.
I have been looking for her for twelve years, not to intrude, but just to make contact and give her family news.
There must be so many family trees floating around with no contacts.

Island

Island Report 12 Apr 2014 12:25

If the envelope icon is still next to your sent message then it hasn't been opened.

Have you tried Facebook, Friends Reunited or the electoral roll?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Apr 2014 12:26

Have you looked to see if the message has been opened?

Pammy51

Pammy51 Report 12 Apr 2014 12:29

It might be that she is no longer a member but if you look at your sent messages box you should be able to see if she has opened your message. If not it will have a little closed envelope beside it.

Sorry, must have been writing this as everyboby else posted!

SueCar

SueCar Report 12 Apr 2014 12:53

Oh dear.

Just seen that about 10% of my
sent messages are unopened :-0

Wish GR would send one reminder
a year about unread messages.

Or do you think people would be annoyed by that?

Graham

Graham Report 12 Apr 2014 13:02

The people who haven't opened their messages may not have seen the first email GR sent. They may have changed email addresses. So they wouldn't see a reminder either.

jax

jax Report 12 Apr 2014 13:49

Even if GR sent reminders, which why should they to people who have probably never paid to use this site......would that make any difference?

Unlike ancestry who also let you know if someone has sent a message. they do not give any indication what the message is about and you need to return to this site to sign in and read it. How many people would have forgotten what password they used 5-10 years ago? I know you can request forgotten password....but some may think they will need to pay to see it so wouldn't bother

Florence61

Florence61 Report 12 Apr 2014 14:42

All my messages i get go straight to my yahoo inbox and of course i check my mails about 3 times a day so i never miss a GR message.

The only people who dont see their messages even if they are not on GR are those that have changed their email and not notified anyone.

personally I have only ever had one email in the 8 years Ive had a computer and wouldnt want to change it. But obviously for many reasons, some do change it and so it's frustrating for those unopened messages.

I have had a couple unopened but have checked the electoral roles and traced 2 people that way. Not much else one can do really

Florence
in the hebrides

Eileen

Eileen Report 12 Apr 2014 15:35

Thank you for the replies.
Now I know that she hasn't opened any messages but she may have ignored them.
Either way she is still lost.
I have tried other ways, but no luck.
Thank you

Eileen

Eileen Report 12 Nov 2019 12:33

I found her through the electoral rolls. I wrote to her three times but had no reply.
At least I know where she is now.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Nov 2019 14:41

Sadly it looks like she doesn’t want contact at the moment then

At least you tried

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 12 Nov 2019 17:17

one of my granddaughters' signed up when genes was connected.....had several false starts on a tree......forgot her passwords several times, has one name in her tree and hasn't bothered since.....