General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Long Lost Family

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 17 Jul 2018 22:37

Did anyone else watch the first episode?

Well for me it didn't disappoint.....pass the hankies :-)

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 17 Jul 2018 22:41

Didn't enjoy this programme one little bit..They all seemed like actors in a play.

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 17 Jul 2018 22:57

I've recorded it Belle

Let you know what I think when I've had a chance to see it :-)

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 17 Jul 2018 23:00

Hopefully, next week's episode will be better for you, Sue :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Jul 2018 23:34

I watched it.
Difficult for the Columbian (language), but nice to know she's still in touch.
Loved Pearse - so much like his dad, not only physically, but emotionally :-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 18 Jul 2018 04:27

I thought it was lovely, the family from Colombia seemed nice and their daughter has got what she wanted, contact with her biological family. It can only be a good thing altho I wondered about her adoptive father, what he thought?

As for Pearse, I felt so sad for him and his Dad, his mother should have kept some kind of link going with the dad in N.Y.

My son's father is in Malta and I made a big effort to keep a link going for my son's sake. It wasn't always easy and when he had a child ten yrs on with a woman he met after me, she made things difficult and contact ceased for a while. However we still kept in touch with my son's Grandmother and Aunt in Malta, and an uncle and his family in Essex, and now my son is in touch with his half brother and stepmother too altho his Dad still doesn't make much effort. When we attended a family wedding in Essex, last year, I spent time with the stepmother (his dad didn't attend) and my son had a great time with his uncle, and cousins. He has lots of knowledge of his background which has been important to him.

It would have been wonderful for Pearse and his dad had the mother kept that link alive when he was younger. So much time and opportunity lost but thank heavens the father recovered from cancer. I hope he lives a long time and their relationship goes from strength to strength.

Lizx

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Jul 2018 09:19

Just watched it as had to record

Oh goodness , tears right from the beginning to end

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 18 Jul 2018 09:59

I can't even start to imagine what it must be like not knowing who your mother, father or both were as often or not the child was born out of love.

I think Pearse's Mother did regret not keeping the link with his Father because she could see the anquish it had caused her Son as he grew up. I'm sure at the time she thought she was doing the right thing ...out of sight, out of mind. I felt that if she knew then what she knew now she would have done what Liz did. I also thought how much Pearse's half brother looked like him. :-)

I really did feel for Christina's parents as they did look very anxious when they first met...I suppose it was the not knowing what reaction they would get from a daughter they had had to give away. The mother appeared to be the stronger of the two parents and I felt the Father was genuinely overwhelmed by the way he embraced Christina stroking her hair so lovingly.

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 18 Jul 2018 22:41

I've just finished watching it from the recording box.
I thoroughly enjoyed it and I am looking forward to the next episode.

I felt that Pearse's mother, following his reaction at the phone box when he was little, probably decided it was too upsetting for him. Later when she realised how much he wanted his Dad, she was very supportive of his quest to find him.
Wasn't his half-brother almost identical to him!

With Christina-
How terrible to be forced through abject poverty to give up your child. Remember that the older siblings were suffering from malnutrition and they had no home. My heart went out to them all. Thankfully Christina had a wonderful childhood, but it was very sad about her adoptive mum passing away.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 19 Jul 2018 06:14

I thought Christina's Mum and Dad had three children before Christina was born, but only two siblings seemed to be around later on.

I was determined my son would never be able to say I kept him from his father, even tho I soon realised what a wally he was. His family came through for us but it was always me had to take my son to Malta. His dad did always meet up with us but once the new woman was on the scene, things were more difficult. Her family owned the block of flats and she had the ground floor one, where he moved in to. They both thought her father had willed the whole block to them, then when he died, it
was left to her and her siblings so they are now buying out the family to own just the one flat!

I have to say I laughed a little bit.

Lizxx