General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Actual Date of Death

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mark

Mark Report 22 Oct 2018 22:42

I'm looking for an actual date of death for my father and whilst I can find that his death was recorded in the fourth quarter sof 1986 can't find the actual date. There was an inquest into his death. I can't get the coroners report with out the death certificate and I can't get that without the date of death. I'm banging my head against a brick wall. Anybody help me?

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 22 Oct 2018 22:59

Try the local newspapers of the obituary notice

Maureen

Maureen Report 22 Oct 2018 23:11

You will have to purchase the Death Cert that you see recorded, cost £9.25 this will give the date of death.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Oct 2018 23:50

Might his Estate have gone to Probate/Administration? Not all do particularly if it was relatively small or inherited in its entirety by the surviving spouse

You can look here but remember to check not only 1986 but also a few years onward.
Make sure you use the middle tab 1858-1996

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#calendar

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Oct 2018 01:22

You don't need an actual date to be able to order a death certificate from GRO.

The GRO index details are enough to order one.

Remember to use the name exactly as indexed.
eg. If you know he was William James JONES,but the index shows William J JONES, then order for William J JONES rather than with his full second name.

If there was an inquest, it may be that the death was quite some time prior to the indexed date. The actual date of death will be on the certificate regardless of how long there was a delay before the inquest was held.

Tabitha

Tabitha Report 23 Oct 2018 13:51

Now thats strange - as i wanted a Death cert for my father - but couldn't get one as it was a Coroners Inquest. I then emailed the local coroner - explained who I was .(as its a very complicated story)

Copied over my marriage certificate showing my fathers name and they sent me the full records, but i could not request the actual certificate as its still an open verdict.
At least i found out the truth after over 35 years.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Oct 2018 14:01

A death cert is still issued though and shows the coroner as the informant

My husbands death in 2015 had to go to a coroners inquest but I was sent a death cert once the coroner had dealt with the paper work

Why wouldn't a cert be issued. Can anyone explain ??

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Oct 2018 15:16

That's what I thought Joan

I had the coroners clerk ring me asking for hubbies details like date and place of birth so they could issue interim info for the funeral directors to proceed with the funeral arrangements

The actual cert had the details I had given and the coroner was the informant
It was all done very politely and efficiently

I was also advised to buy several certs initially that were cheaper to buy in bulk

I did this as dealing with his probate etc several companies wanted the original cert so I was able to do lots at the same time and not worry that the cert wouldn't be returned

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Oct 2018 16:36

Once a DC is issued, isn’t it correct that the cause of death can’t be changed? Perhaps that’s why an ‘Open Verdict’ ie they are unable to determine the exact CoD doesn’t result in a normal DC.

As an example, and apologise if this is relevant to a loved one -
A person was found hanged. Was it
- a dreadful accident?
- they took their own life?
- someone murdered them?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Oct 2018 17:41

My brother's death in 1990 had to go to a coroner's verdict, as did my father's in 1971 ....... I have death certificates for both.

My understanding from both those was that the undertaker had to have the death certificate before the body could be buried or cremated.

One question for Mark .................. where did you go to buy the death certificate?

You should always use GRO (General Register Office), and you should be able to order a certificate from them by giving the information EXACTLY as shown on Freebmd.