General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tracing the history of a house

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Victoria

Victoria Report 20 May 2019 10:16

Hi

My ancestors use to live at 25 High Street, Flixton, North Yorkshire. We were passing through the village yesterday when I realised where we were so we stopped. We tramped up and down Main street as we couldn't find a High Street and Googling High Street, Flixton led us to Main Street each time, trying to find the house in question but none of them have numbers now, instead all going by house names.

I think I found a potential house, now called Chapel Farm, Main Street, Flixton but I am very unsure! Is there any way to trace the history of the house?

Many thanks

Vicki

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 May 2019 10:32

See if you can find the closest Library with a Local Studies section or, failing that, the nearest Library. They may be able to tell you where old maps of the area were stored.

Comparing those with modern day ones would help identify the original house or its location. They may also have records of auctions or sales.

This article from explains how to use Residential Directories.
https://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/researchguide/directories-104/

Victoria

Victoria Report 20 May 2019 10:35

Thank you so much, I think it falls under Scarborough so I will make a start there, I feel the need for a day off work and a trip over!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 May 2019 10:40

Give them a ring first to save a wasted journey.

Our local studies librarian dug out all sorts of maps for me - I was trying to identify where a particular pork butchers shop was. She was able to cross reference the entries in a Trade/Residential directory 'in order of visitation'. M&S food hall currently occupies the site.

Victoria

Victoria Report 20 May 2019 10:54

Good advice, thank you!

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 20 May 2019 11:22

Going to Scarborough you need to look at LAND REGISTRY.
All details will be in the book.

Next time you are in Flixton you should call in at the Foxhound Pub and see if there are any elderly customers that might know where the number you are looking for is situated.

Victoria

Victoria Report 20 May 2019 11:55

Yes, we walked by that yesterday but we had left the stroppy teenagers in the car so didn't want to be too long! We spoke to a man probably in his 30's coming out of a house on that street who explained none of the houses had numbers, and only went by names.

I think I may pay the village and Scarborough a visit by myself at some point so I am not hindered by anyone else!

greyghost

greyghost Report 20 May 2019 13:24

Linked to this thread - https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1377839

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 May 2019 13:58

Old pubs are sometimes a good place for information.

I knew the cottage where my mother was born in Wales and had visited my grandparents there as a child, but also knew it was demolished after my grandmother died in 1965.
Nobody in the family had a photo of the cottage, just lots of memories, but a pub landlord local to the address agreed to display a postcard sized request for anyone with a photo of the cottage to get in touch with me and I later obtained a great photo to keep with my family research.

Victoria

Victoria Report 20 May 2019 14:07

That;'s a lovely story, thanks, I will give the pub a go!

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 20 May 2019 14:18

This may help.....

http://www.colinday.co.uk/maps/ScarboroughMaps/Flixton.pdf

No 25 is High Bella Farm.

Victoria

Victoria Report 20 May 2019 14:27

Thank you!

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 20 May 2019 14:50

It might be a good idea to look at Street View.

Victoria

Victoria Report 20 May 2019 18:02

Thank you, will give it a go