General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GRO Refund.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 22 May 2019 18:49

Just to let you all know that if the staff at the GRO can't find send the cert you have ordered.
The GRO are only refunding £7-50 back after taking £3-50 for looking for the cert you have ordered.

Iris

Iris Report 7 Jun 2019 15:06

Sue, they used to refund it all ,i wonder why it changed .

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Jun 2019 17:44

Iris ......

not since they upped the charges.

This keeping back £3.50 has been in place for almost a year now.

I guess they were losing money!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Jun 2019 18:09

It's because they will have spent time looking for the certificate and the staff have to be paid. It's why it's important to check that you have given the correct reference and also that you ask for the certificate you want - (I know of people who have filled in the form for a birth certificate when they actually wanted a death certificate, and this obviously won't be found).

Kath. x

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 7 Jun 2019 18:40

https://www.lostcousins.com/newsletters2/midoct17news.htmI

If you are using FreeBMD or its Ay equivalent for the GRO index ref make sure to look at the page image, do not rely on the transcription.
Some of the typewriter produced stuff is really bad in the image so no wonder there are mis transcriptions.

Back in the way back when the GRO indices were handwritten (no type writers). At various times the GRO had these typeset. For marriages you can check that the other party's record also exists.

Of no particular importance before the advent of typewriters the copy clerks were nearly all men AND THEY WORKED STANDING UP at standup desks. This went on all the way back to the East India Co. Of course the average Underwood is a bit tricky to manage standing up so sitting became the norm along with white collar back pain.

The index for the birth of my GGF is still in curly wurley copperplate.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Jun 2019 19:05

If you enquired without a GRO ref you paid more ,think it was an extra £3.50 and they only refunded the base sum keeping the £3.50 for the search fee

Presume they are doing the same for any refund now by keeping a search fee

Time has to be paid for I,m afraid