General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Farage

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 22 May 2019 21:46

In case you're wavering

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/22/nigel-farage-discussed-fronting-far-right-group-led-by-steve-bannon

Allan

Allan Report 22 May 2019 22:20

Just what the world needs...….not!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 May 2019 22:59

.and he wouldn't get out of 'his' bus (how much pollution is he causing?) because he saw milk shakes! :-D :-D :-D

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 23 May 2019 10:41

And now the guardian is asking for donations.

What a laugh.

Rambling

Rambling Report 23 May 2019 10:59

Why not Sue? I would rather donate to keeping a relatively independent newspaper with a degree of literacy from its contributors ( probably worth it for George Monbiot alone imo) than donate to Murdoch's empire?

I can read the Guardian online free of nuisance, some online papers you can't read a full article without subscribing or you have to accept intrusive advertising. (or as with the Mail you have to wade through all the dross to find the news :-) )

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 23 May 2019 11:15

The Guardian can be very funny and the (voluntary) sub good value if you believe in a free and accessible press. I will never be a fan of Simon Jenkins and often disagree with George Monbiot. That is the point really The G. has free speech, a fast disappearing item.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/22/maybot-plods-on-each-day-a-greater-torment-than-the-last-theresa-may-brexit
:-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 23 May 2019 11:34

She eats chips better than Milliband eats a bacon butty, doesn't she!

I am having difficulty thinking of someone who would take on the Brexit jobbie with any more ease. No one has come up with any decent alternatives so TM may as well stay the course. In fact, the state our political parties are in at the moment reveals no future competent PM.

I can't think of a time when nobody stood head and shoulders above the rest, the situation we are in currently. We may get stuck with a newby who can be tolerated to a small extent by all parties but whose lack of experience could throw all of us into the mire.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 23 May 2019 12:27

May has made all manner of basic political errors dating back to her time as Home Secretary. They are well documented in the press and media as well as all manner of blogs. They all boil down to one inescapable fact in that she has lost the confidence of both her party and the House of Commons. In our parliamentary democracy that has always meant either resign or get the push with little ceremony.

Tory leaders dumped by their party since WW2 include Winston Churchill, Anthony Eden, Douglas Hume, Heath, Hague, IDS, Howard, Thatcher. They are qute good at it and have a well oiled machine to do the job, the 1922 Committee. May is terrified of it.

My late mother ( a lifelong Tory voter ) could not stand May who reminded her of her youth watching Hitler 's rise to power via Pathe news at the cinema. She could not stand Bojo either.

There are plenty of people in the House who could do a great job as PM other than Corbyn or May. The Tories have gone from a "broad church" to a cabal which pretty obviously restricts their choice of leader as well as their electability.

There is likely to be a General Election sooner rather than later. The Tories big white hope is that Labour sticks with Corbyn.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 23 May 2019 12:45

You just never know who may sneakily creep back in to replace Corbyn, Rollo. I can think of two - and I wouldn't give either of them the time of day.

I'd side with your late mother about BoJo. I think he's a massive waste of space who'd be better using his other unknown talents. :-D

I still can't help feeling that May has had a raw deal. She's done right, in my opinion, to place herself in an insular position because no one around her seems to be trustworthy. They're all greedy backstabbers whom I would not trust nor touch with a ten-foot barge pole.

Rambling

Rambling Report 23 May 2019 12:53

:-) @ JoyLouise for using the phrase "a ten-foot barge pole", not heard it for a while except for when I say it myself :-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 23 May 2019 13:27

So you would trust Gove, Mogg, Hunt, Javid, Leadsom, Raab, McVee, Mordaunt all of whom have form for burning principals and loyalty trying to climb the greasy pole? Several of thus motley crew have the distinct whiff of fascism about them which may be a bonus if the Cps get to vote on the last two standing.

Rambling

Rambling Report 23 May 2019 13:51

I wouldn't trust any of those named ( the chance of me ever voting Conservative is close to nil anyway) but as a non-political observation I could never vote for someone who signs their resignation letter "Best, Andrea" :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 23 May 2019 14:23

None of them, Rollo. They're all much of a muchness.

Rose, I love the old quips and sayings. Always have cos they liven up language. :-D