General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can't cry much more

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Jun 2019 13:12

Those wonderful. wonderful old men.

So, so moving.

Thank you so very much for our freedom.

Maddie

Maddie Report 6 Jun 2019 13:27

a wonderfull coverage, cried some tears too, hope they never will be forgotten by future generations
bless their cotton socks
i hope many will be here to celebate VE day next year

Mersey

Mersey Report 6 Jun 2019 13:51

<3 <3 <3

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Jun 2019 14:05

We were lucky because family members who fought in WW2 came home

I do remember worrying about any of the family getting bombed out and killed and uncles who were servng in the services

I was a young kid living in London and we all dreaded the sirens going to take shelter and the the all clear siren so you could breathe out and know you were still here !!

Being an evacuee didnt lessen the worry about absent family

Maureen

Maureen Report 6 Jun 2019 18:37

I have with help found a Newspaper article from oct 1943 which i hope to pass on to a family member, it was a letter found in the possessions of a Pilot Killed over Kiel in Germany, to his 1yr old son left behind in Liverpool with his pregnant wife.

Just thought i would quote the last paragraph.

Well my son, i hope you wont mind your daddy writing you like this, we shall meet again someday. Dont feel resentful that your daddy was taken from you.He felt it his duty to fight for the right,and until peoples hearts and minds are changed,so long there will be wars, strife, unhappiness and cruelty. You can be proud that your daddy belonged to the Royal Air Force, iam proud to be part of that great service and i have met some of the finest men ever.Fine fellows most of them,i had some very fine friends amongst them.

Eric Victor Durham b 1914 died 7th Sept 1941. I hope the letter remained in the family, his second son was born one month after his death.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 7 Jun 2019 01:36

What a wonderful letter, I hope that family treasured it. That man was brave and very thoughtful to leave such a mssage.

So many brave people who 'were just doing their job'.

Lizx

David

David Report 7 Jun 2019 08:36

Very moving indeed for we viewers and many of the veterans to have survived that.

Just eight months later my Uncle Ralph Atkinson aged 20 Stoker first class was killed

along with his ship mates when Corvette Bluebell K80 was torpedoed and sank.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 7 Jun 2019 12:50

Wonderful, valiant men and women.

Dad and uncles were in all services during WW2, some having joined well before the war, others for the duration of the war. We, as a family, were both lucky and unlucky. Only one uncle, the youngest, was killed (July 1945) and in his belongings were found two dresses for me, his only niece, whose Mum (his sister) had served in the WAAF.

I feel humbled when I think of the sacrifices these men and women made, not only by laying their lives on the line but also for giving years of their youth so that we could enjoy our youth in happier, carefree times.

Heroic, gallant, courageous ... I could go on but there would never be sufficient adjectives to describe their bravery.

<3 <3 <3

<3 especially for Uncle N.

Iris

Iris Report 7 Jun 2019 14:42

JoyLouise
may I ask ,did you wear the 2 dresses ,or did your mum put them away to remember her brother by , hope I don't upset you by asking .
I agree with others on here about their bravery ,it could be the last time a lot of them meet up, i was in tears reading their stories in the papers .

JoyLouise

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 7 Jun 2019 16:10

Iris,

I believe I wore them. Mum and aunt spoke about them and how my grandparents were devastated by uncle's death as the war was almost over so they thought that all of their sons were safe. I was told that the dresses were very pretty but I never thought to ask about the colours etc. There is no one left to ask as last uncle died a few years ago at 101 and, although his memory was good, he could not recall everything. One of his regular topics of conversation was how he and a pal went to fight in Spain before WW2.

I have no idea what happened to the dresses, I'm afraid. We lived with my grandparents for the first few years of my life, after which we moved many miles away. If they were left at my grandparents' home I hope that they were passed down to one of my cousins who arrived a few years after me.. If Mum kept them, I never knew what happened to them as I was living overseas when Dad died and Mum moved to sheltered accommodation.

Such a shame that no one seems to have them. An even greater shame that I never asked much about them but I learned to contain my curiosity as I did not want to upset anyone; after all those years, the grief was still raw - something that millions will understand.

<3