General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Two years ago

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Jun 2019 14:48

We lost a really great family member in Canada

Anthony Cathersides born 1947 married our sister Lynne in 1968

They moved to Canada in 1978 and paid frequent visits home to see family

They came in sept 2016 after I had lost hubby and he was having problems then in eating and keeping food down ,. He had investigations before they left Canada and hadn't had any results before they left

He had cancer cells detected in his prostate earlier in the year and had it removed with treatment after

So on their return he got the awful result he had oesophageal cancer and he fought all the way but lost his fight

My sister has floundered in their big 3 story town house and has decided sell and move nearer their daughter and back to an area they lived 13 years ago

She has felt very isolated and alone with few friends living in the area and has had to make herself go out and try and be part of the world
Know how she feels cos is doesn't come to you ,you have to explore the area and see what is out there

She has sold the house and bought a two bed condo and moves shortly

I admire her immensely in how she has coped . She was .18 and he was 21 when they married so like me and hubby they were soul mates

She wants me to go over next year for a month so we can do a Two week Hawaiian cruse
I am seriously looking at it and will go business class too so I can have a comfortable journey each way

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 Jun 2019 14:58

Yes you go for it Shirley, it will be great for you to spend time with your sister and see new places.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Jun 2019 15:10

I really want to do it and hope I can as my mobility is a bit impaired ATM

Hope the knee replacement op will be successful and get me on the move a bit more

Was supposed to have it on may22nd but asked them to reschedule as it was too close to the holiday aleady booked and paid for with daughter and sil and grandson

I do need the op but am a bit apprehensive about it in case it makes things worse as I live on my own and need to still be able too and cope ok

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 6 Jun 2019 16:17

I agree with Ann, go for it while you have the chance to do so.

What a great cruise. You'll love Hawaii.

It's 30+ years since I took the kids and we had a whale of a time. Your spirits will be lifted by vibrant colours and flora and there is plenty to see. If you are sensitive you may need to take some tissues when you do the Pearl Harbour and cemetery tour.

All more enjoyable with your sister's company, I'm sure.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 6 Jun 2019 16:20

Shirley I have had both my knees replaced within the last 4 years, they have been great. I can't run a marathon (not that I could ever have anyway) but I sure can get about a lot better with no pain. Go for your trip and also get the op you will not regret either <3 <3

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Jun 2019 17:01

I have completed an 8 week pre op exercise class at the local hospital.going twice a week
The theory is to get you to optimum fitness as the healing process is better the more agile you are

It has helped as I can see an improvement in what I can do
I exercise anyway at home doing some of the movements they incorporated

Pity they don't do post op as I would willingly do them too

It's now waiting for the new operation date

Hope I don't come home with tummy problems like I did from Egypt last year that took 5 weeks to clear!!!

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 6 Jun 2019 17:08

The thing I will strongly advise Shirley is do your post op exercises religiously. It will be painful and I will not pretend it isn't but the healing process will be quicker and no pain no gain. The very best of luck with it and I hope all goes well for you <3

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Jun 2019 17:22

Go for it Shirley.

Don't worry about how the op is going to turn out.

I have mobility problems, and can't walk long distances, but you don't need to! You will get help from the airline staff and the cruise staff ......

....... I can tell you there is nothing like sailing past long line-ups as you are pushed in a wheelchair, often by a cheerful younger man who is making you laugh! :-D

Your sister will be told to accompany you and your helper, so she gets to go past all the long lines as well ;-)

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 7 Jun 2019 13:11

Yes, go for it as others have suggested.

I have compromised mobility and had bowel disease at the time but I still managed Guatemala.

You can adapt in most situations, I use elbow crutches and if really bad hubby pushes me around in a wheel chair. I have to say that the only downside is the cost of travel insurance so please get as many quotes as possible.

Sue

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 7 Jun 2019 13:53

Shirley do it and enjoy. Have had both knees done and it was
worth it, before that I dreaded having to stand up because of
the pain. :-)

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 7 Jun 2019 19:31

Dear Shirley

You go, my lovely and come back and tell us all about it. <3

Take gentle care
Love Elizabeth, EOS
xx

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 9 Jun 2019 06:09

I am very seriously considering it

It will depend on my mobility later on in the year

The cruises are usually from jan to may so the decision will be made later this year as they get booked up very early.

Thanks all ;-)