General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Line of fire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 10 Jun 2019 11:25

don't speak foreign languages on the street or this can happen .....

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jun/09/german-student-serious-condition-after-attack-kent

Rambling

Rambling Report 10 Jun 2019 11:35

I hope the young man recovers well. Stuck for words really.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Jun 2019 11:41

Don’t assume it was because of his language or appearance. Did you see the ages of the suspects? The exchange student is aged 17
A 16-year-old boy, a 16-year-old girl and two 15-year-old boys, all from Canterbury, and a 17-year-old boy from Margate were arrested as part of the investigation. A 44-year-old man of no fixed address was arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender. All were later released on bail pending further inquiries.

A further suspect, a 17-year-old boy from Canterbury, was arrested on Saturday evening and remains in custody.

Canterbury & a number of other towns has a problem with unsocial behaviour although normally the suspects are older than this.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 10 Jun 2019 11:52

I have a lot of contacts with Canterbury, a town I lived in for several years.
East Kent / Thanet and Dover have lots of social problems including low level violence and vandalism.

That is not true of Canterbury , a city where the LibDems have taken control after a century of the Tories. The city economy is dominated by the two universities and in marked contrast to Thanet is doing ok. Street violence especially at six o 'clock in the afternoon is way unusual.

There have been a lot of attacks on EU residents in the UK for no other reason than not speaking English on the street and thus making themselves targets. Such attacks had greatly diminished but are now on the rise again.

It is disquieting that the parents of the victim had to appeal to the city MP and Javid in order to get an emergency visa to see their son in hospital.

And in sunny Bournemouth:
https://metro.co.uk/2016/10/27/man-severely-beaten-after-being-told-to-speak-f-english-speaks-out-6218523/

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 10 Jun 2019 12:23

This was an awful attack and horrific too that it happened early evening.
I hope the young man recovers well and his family are supported.

Many of the south east towns are hosts to numerous students, from home and abroad, but I've never seen any behaviour that targeted them.
It would be unusual to be in Canterbury on a week day and not see many students from overseas.