General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Jun 2019 19:06

" When you have only two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."

- Chinese Proverb

So today I bought an aster :-)

I have turned into my mother who also often went out to buy food and came back with a plant. :-)

( it was either that or hair dye, and so it was really no choice...food for the soul won over vanity ;-) )

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Jun 2019 19:07

What small thing do you buy that is not essential, yet makes your heart happy ?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 12 Jun 2019 19:56

My OH runs a neighbourhood supermarket .
At the end of the day there are flowers that have not sold and are due to be wasted. So she brings the refugees home with her albeit sharply marked down.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 12 Jun 2019 21:35

The original:

“If, of thy mortal goods, thou art bereft,
And from thy slender store two loaves
alone to thee are left,
Sell one & from the dole,
Buy Hyacinths to feed the soul”

– Muslihuddin Sadi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Jun 2019 21:40

Thankyou for that Margaret :-)

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 13 Jun 2019 09:55

An extra tin or packet of something to put in the church food bank box :-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 13 Jun 2019 10:07

Rollo, La Gooner both very good ideas in different ways :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Jun 2019 17:42

For years, I added a bunch of flowers when doing the weekly shop, and put them in a vase on the kitchen counter where I could see them several times a day.

I started doing that when OH and daughter went to NZ on work, and I had to stay home by myself.

It made me feel better.

Now, OH does the weekly shop, and buys flowers when I write them on the shopping list.