General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How Devastating It Must Be

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 14 Jul 2019 14:02

To know you might outlive both your children. That is a very real possibility here at the moment. Mr Owl’s dad died of cancer aged 26 when Mr Owl was six months old. Now Mr Owl’s aunt has breast cancer. They are giving her chemotherapy and radiotherapy and we’re all crossing our fingers. Mr Owl’s gran is now 88 and she admitted herself that there is no guarantee she won’t be burying her second and last child before her.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 14 Jul 2019 15:02

Dreadful. Outliving one is devastating I couldn’t contemplate any more.

(Hug)

Sue x

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Jul 2019 15:07

Lovely lady I know has buried three and suffered a still-birth.

BarbinSGlos

BarbinSGlos Report 14 Jul 2019 15:51

It must be so very hard to accept.

My hubbys cousin buried her husband, her two sons, her daughter and one of her grandsons

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Jul 2019 16:11

Must be devastating.
Oh goodness Barb, how very sad.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 14 Jul 2019 17:28

Ironic,,, that I attended two sad goodbyes this week, Wednesday & Thursday a brother and sister passed away within 4 days of each other !,,,,,,their father almost 90 attended both.

:-(

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 15 Jul 2019 01:23

So very sad for families like that.

My late Mum had a stillborn son before I was born and then lost a granddaughter (my baby girl) 28 years later.

I hope Mr Owl's aunt can make a good recovery and that his Gran will continue to have her company for a while yet. She's certainly doing well, at 88!

Lizxx

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Jul 2019 03:58

My grandfather lost his youngest child at age 17 in 1928. Then he lost his wife in 1954, and finally my mother who died at age 58 in 1961.

He attended all the funerals.

It happens in families, and is not unusual, but I hope that Mr Owl's aunt recovers.

As a breast cancer survivor twice over (2 different cancers), I must say that I don't see breast cancer as a death sentence and I hate to see this attitude

............... it IS survivable, and you MUST not give up hope.

Do more than hope for the best and crossing your fingers

Change your mind set, please!!!!!!

Say she WILL survive.

Plan things to do with her after the treatment is over ........... and also during the treatment.

I'm still alive today .............. my first breast cancer was in 1995 at age 55 and my second in 2011 at age 71

I plan to be still kicking around for more years yet.

Tawny

Tawny Report 15 Jul 2019 06:17

In 2016 granny moved 400 miles to live closer to her daughter(not because of cancer) and she says it’s the best thing she did. Granny can now help when needed without either of them getting annoyed with the other as they have a house they can retreat to.

Still good news for mother in law though as the tumours I mentioned she had a few years haven’t grown and the injections every month are keeping them small. Mother in law has an almost unheard of form of cancer called neuroendocrine tumours or NETs as it’s commonly known. For people like my mother in law they will have cancer for the rest of their lives but as long as they are able to get injections like my mother in law and the cancer continues to respond there is no reason to believe that life will be shorter than anyone else’s.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Jul 2019 17:35

My daughter went for her first mammogram this morning .......... a little earlier than would normally be done as she is still under 50 but it is because they want to get a base line for her, after my 2 cancers

She will be going for a similarly early first colonoscopy in the autumn as her father has had colon cancer and it seems to run in his family ............... his sister, father and paternal grandmother all died of colon cancer.

I don't know whether to be more worried for her about the cancers or about the heart problems that both OH and I have in our families, even though we are still OK!!