General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Just saved myself a fortune!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 21 Jul 2019 14:57

About 9 months ago, Betty (cat) started peeing on my bed :-(
Actually, she rarely moved from my bed (apart, from, to poo), but otherwise, she stayed on my bed.
This was very unusual, as Betty never came on my bed - she hid UNDER it if she was scared (fireworks etc) but she preferred downstairs.
She was one extremely stressed cat.
I covered the bed with an old shower curtain - still she stayed there, and still she peed.
I realised my 10.5tog duvet would be unusable, if she ever moved, but, fortunately, there was a rubber protector over the mattress (I thought it was fine towelling - it was - with a rubber backing :-S)
George (the other cat, who usually sleeps on my bed) and I removed ourselves to the spare room.

After a couple of nights, I knew I'd have to get out the litter tray in an effort to break Betty's compulsion :-|
This I did - and Betty slowly became less stressed - even happy.
I removed the sodden bedding.
Initially she would stay on my bed, but go downstairs to do her business. After a while, she would go outside to sit on the doorstep - and come in to do her business.
Once I was back in my own bed - having bought a new duvet - she even came and slept on it (without peeing) a few times. This could have been just for comfort/security, but it was sweet.
So, the litter tray has been part of the kitchen since.

Now, my sister has a solely indoor cat - who poos once a day.
Betty poos at least 3 times a day :-| :-| :-| :-|
I'd come down in the morning to the 'odour', clean it out - go to work, come back the the distinct smell, clean it up - then just before I went to bed - yes! Another one.

Well, as the weather got hotter it got worse.
Last week, I realised there was nothing to clean out - just wee (which was unusual as Betty had started weeing up the wall, rather than in the box.)
I obviously became concerned for Betty's health, in between really appreciating an odourless house.
I knew she drank a lot of water, she was still eating, but was spending her days on the printer, pulling her fur out (but it's the fur pulling time of year for her - it's definitely not fleas, I think it's, midges).
Could she be bunged up with fur? Should I take her to the vet?

I was watching TV early Thursday evening, when Betty suddenly shot out of the cat flap - and was back in, in a few minutes. The next time she did this, I opened the back door - and there she was, doing her 'business' on the wood bark, on the bank 'where nothing grows' (apart from weeds).

She's going outside! :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
She didn't need to see a vet!

Perhaps even she had got fed up with the horrendous pong from her own poo! :-| :-| ;-)

Island

Island Report 21 Jul 2019 15:12

That's reminded me - I need to get the dogs bedding out of the washing machine. Thanks! :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Jul 2019 15:16

Strange things cats!! If only they could talk, she might tell you she had suddenly had the realisation that she was meant to poo outside!!! :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 21 Jul 2019 15:32

So glad to help, Island! :-D

Ann, Betty's 13 - up until 9 months ago, she always did her business outside.

I can only think she was 'jumped' by another cat whilst doing her business.
I know next door's cat is trying to take over the garden - he attacks George, and poos ON the grass.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Jul 2019 15:55

Maybe she just 'forgot' for 9 months, glad she has remembered again though.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 21 Jul 2019 16:33

:-D :-D :-D :-D

Yes, she's becoming 'of an age' :-D :-D :-D

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 23 Jul 2019 18:17

Two of my cats go outside
But Steve the thick one
Doesn't go out I have a Catio for him to play In

I sprinkle his litter box with Shake and vac

and when he covers up his poop
We get a nice scenty smell Rather thank a stinky poop :-D :-D