General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cinnamon

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 25 Jul 2019 12:42

Just wondered if anybody else had had a similar experience to this, not necessarily with the same thing.

I have always loved nutmeg and vanilla and had no particular dislike of any other spice or herb, other than chilli which I have always disliked.

One day I bought a piece of home-made cake that had some cinnamon on top and it made me gag, I found it disgusting and offensive and have never been able to eat cinnamon since, or, indeed, smell it.

This is not particularly convenient as I have to ask if things like apple pie have it in and that makes me look well precious when I am out!

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 25 Jul 2019 13:40

Do what I did as a teenager, I found a food gave me a headache (still does) but no one believed me. I then started to say it gave me a rash and everyone was careful not to give it to me - just tell them you are intolerant and they'll understand :-D

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 25 Jul 2019 13:57

I am the same with Cinnamon.can't even go near it.

Once bought a Rascal from one of our well known bakers in Yorkshire.
It didn't say it didn't have cinnamon in it.
As soon as I took a small bite I was sick,must have been the cinnamon in it as I have never had one since.

Now can't even stand the smell of it.

Caroline

Caroline Report 25 Jul 2019 13:57

Sounds like there was too much Cinnamon on top, it can literally choke you check out stupid kids on YouTube! I put Cinnamon in many things but I get it not everyone loves it. As Pat says just say it does something more than a bad feeling say you'll vomit if it's there that'll stop 'em :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 25 Jul 2019 14:20

Curious innit?

I love the Curiously Cinnamon breakfast cereal. That or porridge on a morning fills the gap. :-D

Cinnamon toast with lashings of butter - yum yum. :-D

Come to think of it, even though there are certain foods I love, if I was visiting someone, I'd eat whatever they put in front of me.

'Tis the way I was brung up you know - just like the queen!!! ;-) :-D ;-)

Seriously though, she must have eaten some strange stuff throughout her life. And all with a smile on her face - what a stalwart, not many could do that. :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 25 Jul 2019 16:02

I just thought it strange that I suddenly turned against it.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 Jul 2019 16:20

Even after many years I believe you can become intolerant to things.I don't know if it comes in different strengths but maybe it was extra strong.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 Jul 2019 20:12

Sharron ...............

I love Cinnamon, have no problems with it

But I suddenly became dairy-intolerant back in 2004. Daren't have any dairy or I will spend 4 hours in the bathroom.

I suddenly became wheat- or gluten-intolerant abut 2 years ago. Get bloating if I have any so I eat the filling of a sandwich or pie if I am not sure.

Things seem to happen as one gets older, for some reason.

People are very good when you use the word "intolerant" ................

I don't use the word "allergic" because that means I will get a very serious reaction, or even death and that is not true.