General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Storing Cheese....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 26 Jul 2019 11:15

How do you store yours?

When I was a girl we used to buy our cheese from a large block so one could buy as big or small a piece as was required & the bought piece was then wrapped in greaseproof paper!
We always kept our cheese in a cheese dish which was then left on the cold marble shelf in the pantry.

For many years now I have always bought the Seriously Strong Red cheese which comes in a plastic package & stored in the fridge I have never had any oroblems with it lasting etc, however in recent weeks the "same" cheese is not keeping the same!

Though the cheese is the same brand it is now marked as being made with Spring water & when opening the packaging from the fridge the cheese is sweating / wet!
Didn't do this previously, just recently with the Spring water one!

I am now thinking about removing the cheese from the plastic wrapping & re wrapping in greaseprrof paper like in the old days but of course still storing it in the fridge.
Just wondered how other stored their cheese.

The cheese though "sweaty" still tastes good but i am now "drying" it with kitchen roll before using!

Joan.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 26 Jul 2019 11:35

I haven't noticed a particular problem, but I don't buy nearly so much cheese as I used to, so a small piece is bought in a pack and used fairly quickly, being stored in it's pack in the fridge in between times. If it is opened and not all needed at one time, I put the whole unused portion, still in it's shop wrapper, inside a plastic tear-off sandwich bag to stop it drying out on it's cut edge.

Would the greaseproof paper protect the cheese enough from drying out too much? Still perfectly usable, but a bit crusty in a sandwich.....

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 26 Jul 2019 11:39

Weird, that, Joan. I wonder if it's because Spring water naturally contains impurities that our water boards filter out?

I can't think of another reason why.

Regularly I buy Red Leicester, Creamy Lancashire, Cornish Cove Mature, Manchego, Marmite cheese and Halloumi. I tend to use Hallmoumi in one go but the others are kept in whatever ways are handy - wrapped in foil, or kept in their own wrappers in a divided plastic box. (Edit: stored in the fridge.)

So far, so good. I have not had the problem you have had - but I can't say that I've ever had cheese that used spring water in its manufacture.

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 26 Jul 2019 11:40

Hello Gwyn.

I did wonder about it drying out in the greaseproof but wondered if it could then be put into an arirtight container!
maybe have to just try it out & see ehat happens, this didn't happen before just seems to be with the Spring wtaer type, it's the only one of the seriously strong on the shelf in my Morrisons at the moment!

Hope all is well with you.

Joan.

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 26 Jul 2019 11:45

Yes Joy it is rather odd. One block of about 300grms lasts us for a VERY long time & looked fine but this Spring water one bothers me, as I say once it has been dried on kitchen roll it's fine, tastes good etc, but the sweating appearance doesn't look nice!

Joan.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 26 Jul 2019 11:59

We buy quite a lot of cheese. Brie we keep in its wrapper, other cheese we take out of the wrapper and it is stored in a (Tupperware, would you believe so getting on a bit) purpose made cheese container. It has a hard tray and a curved lid that sits over the top. It is therefore covered but not air tight. Cheese doesn't sweat in it and keeps well and all kept in the fridge.

I can remember our cheese at home in the 40s/50s being kept in the pantry in a china cheese dish

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 26 Jul 2019 12:02

Found this on Google after someone queried dampness on Cheddar cheese from a manufacturer named Cabot.

Wendy from Cabot here. From our FAQ's: proteins in the cheese release moisture as they age in a process known as "synersis." This is typically a small amount of moisture, and it does not damage the cheese in any way, rather it allows the cheese to reach the next stage of maturity. We recommend you simply wipe off any excessive moisture, wrap the cheese in fresh plastic wrap, and store it in the refrigerator. If you ever have questions about our products, we're super happy to help at [email protected]!

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 26 Jul 2019 12:49

Thanks to everyone for replies.
Pat that's interesting, so my sweaty cheese is acting "normally" lol, have to say apart from the look of it the taste is good etc.
Thanks again for your comments.

Joan.