General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wollaton

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbra

Barbra Report 31 Jul 2019 15:45

Lidl are taking over stores Waitrose one being in Wollaton in Nottingham one resident saying she owns properties in the up market area & saying they dont want Lidl in their town .such snobbery. I know of people who shop in Aldi & have M & S shopping bags to carry home it annoys me how people think they are better than others. Barbara :-D

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 31 Jul 2019 17:02

I'm not snobby and my Sainsburys 'elephant' bags go everywhere but I still prefer Waitrose to Lidl/Aldi, just personal choice :-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 31 Jul 2019 17:06

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jouS-a9pq2M

IMHO Aldi are poor value for money as nearly all of their stuff is ersatz and / or of indifferent quality. Their lobsters say it all. Lidl sometimes have some good buys but as with Aldi quality and choice are very patchy. The French Lidl is markedly better - cheaper and better with fresh food. The staff are pushed too hard and it shows.

Best for a tight budget is easily ASDA even if the stores are soulless.

Although Wollaton / Broxbourne is considered as up market houses are very affordable, less than Ruddington or West Bridgeford. Maybe it is the tight fisted traditions of the area which have made it tuf for Waitrose? The store is not very big anyway.

My cousin lives in the area but does her big shop at Sainsbury's in Kimberley visiting W. mostly for fresh fish deals on Fridays from time to time. I would be amazed if she went to Aldi.

I never give a hang about the shopping bags, whatever ccmes to hand usually Co-op or Tesco. Waitrose bags are too small. I find the idea of flaunting supermarket logos hilarious, it is the sort of thing Hyacinth Bucket would do.

Annx

Annx Report 31 Jul 2019 17:11

With property increasing in price where there is a Waitrose I would think it is the loss of property value that would be of concern to most. We had Aldi and Waitrose side by side in the next village, but Waitrose closed a few weeks ago. It had been there since at least 1969. It was parking charges that stopped me going there as the retail park just as near is free parking.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 31 Jul 2019 17:17

In the case of Wollaton the key factor affecting house prices is Fernwood School catchment area rather than local supermarkets and mini markets.

Waitrose refund parking charges when you check out.

Rambling

Rambling Report 31 Jul 2019 17:48

Even my 'posh friend' uses Lidl and Aldi. There isn't one very near to me to use, but the chocoleur (?) chocolate from Aldi is very good.

I use what ever bag is to hand, bags for life from wherever they come and a canvas type ( M & S ) because it's light and the handles are comfy.

I have raised eyebrows at times by saying I have shopped at M&S if we are in town, but their butter is cheaper than the Co op, their cakes can't be beaten, and their cheese and onion sandwich ( son's treat if we go) is cheaper than Greggs.

Likewise a £1 vegetable pizza from Iceland has a good amount of mixed veg on it.

I don't care where it comes from if it tastes ok and I can afford it :-)

Barbra

Barbra Report 31 Jul 2019 17:58

We have Sainburys & Aldi in our town dont use Aldi much just the odd bit dog food & plants as they do have bargains. But food shop is Sainsbury's Tesco if we are in Dumfries. Never been to Lidl interesting to see were you do shop we have a butcher's & he has homemade meat pies £ 1.90.small Holland's meat pies in Tesco £ 3.00 pack 4.& Tesco really fresh goods each to their own eh :-)

Sallie

Sallie Report 1 Aug 2019 01:17

i live about three and a half miles from Wollaton, which is quite a nice area to live, although I never shop at Waitrose. I shop sometimes at Sainsburys in Kimberley which is three miles in a different direction. But I also buy food from both Aldi and Lidl, just depends on where we are and if it's convenient and use whichever bags we keep in the boot of the car.

Rollo I think you meant Ruddington and BROXTOWE , Broxbourne is in Hertfordshire
not Nottinghamshire . :-) :-) :-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 1 Aug 2019 09:26

doesn't this reaction usually pre-empt the erection of a Lidl which will soon be filled with the local great and good before you know it?

Tawny

Tawny Report 1 Aug 2019 10:32

Mr Owl used to live in Whitburn, West Lothian and the only choice there for large supermarket was Lidl so that’s what we used and never had a problem with it. Now Mr Owl has moved into Edinburgh with me we use Sainsbury’s but that’s because it’s 400 yards from the door. We also have an Asda, Tesco, Marks and Spencers, Waitrose and Morrisons within 3 miles of us and have and do use them all depending on what we want.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 1 Aug 2019 11:36

"BROXTOWE not, Broxbourne"

I make this error quite often which annoys my cousin who lives in the Broxtowe constit. I have links with both places so there you go.

My OH once sent a VLCC to Boston by mistake when it was schedule to dock in Houston. Fortunatley she managed to re route it mid Atlantic but it still arrived very late!

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 1 Aug 2019 22:05

I frequently shop at Aldi and Lidl, rarely have a problem with their goods, and if so, it's always dealt with easily. We both buy lots of clothes from those stores and find them very good, also garden tools etc etc

Liz