General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Daily Diary of Domestic Disasters

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 1 Aug 2019 10:18

Yesterday morning my wife informed me that the washing machine had given up the ghost and departed to that great mechanical Heaven above :-0

The said appliance would not turn on. :-0that the Service Agent be contacted

Did the usual thing and plugged something else into the double wall socket and it worked, so no problem with the power supply.

Read the Instruction Booklet and it suggested, amongst the problems listed for such an event, was to contact the Service Agent.

Now, in Bunbury there are several firms who carry out work for the various suppliers so we just wanted to know which one it was.

OH phone the freecall number for the manufacturer and was asked a barrage of questions regarding the machine, only to be told that the model identification number she gave them was not identifiable. :-0

OH explained that the model we had was a replacement for one that was subject to a recall a couple of years ago and had been supplied directly from the Company.

At this juncture I should explain that all we wanted was the name of the service agent. The original machine was three years old when it was replaced. The warranties on both machines had expired.

Not satisfied with the first contact, OH again contacted the helpline, same questions, same answers, but this time the operator suggested that OH take a photo of the identification plate and email it to the company.:-|

This was duly done.

On going back into the laundry to tidy up after all the moving about of the machine, OH gave it another chance, and guess what; it started working once again :-S :-D

Allan

Allan Report 1 Aug 2019 10:37

It was just as well, as in the afternoon I had just self-administered an anaesthetic prior to my normal SCAN, when my OH prodded me in the stomach and said, 'We have a problem'

Houston I ain't and I hate those inclusive statements.

Trying to drag myself back into the here-and-now, I thought that the problem was a lack of water.

No it was too much water, unfortunately from the hot water tap over the laundry sink which was continually dripping at an alarming rate.

Phoned the plumber who said the he would call around in the late morning.

I went outside to turn the water off at the mains but the tap was seized and as I have advanced arthritis in my hands I didn't have the strength to exert as much pressure as I would have liked to turn the tap :-(

Fortunately, the two taps over the laundry sink have an elongated flexible outlet which we were able to direct into the washing machine. :-0

Between finding the leak and the plumber coming out enough water had gone into the machine to allow us to do two loads of washing as well as being able to mop the vinyl floor in the kitchen and family room :-|

I'm dreading receiving the next water and gas bills :-S :-D :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 1 Aug 2019 11:28

Ride a black swan.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Aug 2019 11:56

It’s known as Sod’s law Allan :-D

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 1 Aug 2019 12:05

My washing machine went kaput on Tuesday. Water everywhere and heater U/S, new one arrived yesterday.

This morning it's microwave that's U/S. :-( Now looking for replacement.

Caroline

Caroline Report 1 Aug 2019 14:04

You couldn't make it up could you....hope it all gets quieter now for you Allan :-)

Allan

Allan Report 1 Aug 2019 21:37

So do I, I still haven't had my scan! :-| :-D :-D

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 2 Aug 2019 11:28

if any of you use a RCD socket outlet for your white goods protection,, please bear in mind it is often not a good idea connecting a fridge or fridge/freezer to it..

Due to to a quirk that if the power goes off, the rcd trips, and needs resetting.
if unnoticed you will lose a freezer of food and and at best a puddle when it defrosts.....

Allan

Allan Report 2 Aug 2019 22:01

Unfortunately here in Oz ALL circuits have to be covered by RCDs

David

David Report 3 Aug 2019 07:58

Years ago Allan we had an arrangement with Hotpoint to come out once a year

and service our wahing machine and spin dryer and issue a one year service

contract on both.If anything happened to either it was repaired free under the

contract and a new contract issued. It was very efficient amicable arrangement.

The arrangement ceased as I recall, Hotpoint were taken over. :-D