General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Diet

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 2 Aug 2019 04:59

A very long time ago my Dentist told me that refined sugar is not part of the

human diet, yet we stir it in our tea or coffee, we eat biscuits and cake that

are loaded with it. If you read the snall print on food tins as well as the

unknown E number is a high percentage of sugar. Is it addictive ?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Aug 2019 09:19

It can be!

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 2 Aug 2019 09:29

Sugar/sweets/fruit drinks/chocolates etc all leave a sticky substance on the teeth which bacteria love and it's the bacteria that cause the problems.

The last time I helped at a GA (general anaesthetic) we had a little girl just over 1 having all her front teeth removed as they were brown stumps caused by mother dipping her dummy in honey all the time. :-0

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-sugar-destroys-teeth

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 2 Aug 2019 16:25

David, after eating fruit (especially acidic fruit) it is wise to rinse out your mouth rather than clean your teeth immediately - a tip I learned many years ago when I told my dentist that I would like to live to 100 with all my own teeth. So far so good.

:-D There's a pair of gnashers for you.

I have looked after mine carefully since I knocked out most, if not all, of my milk teeth by flying over the handlebar of my bike. I was gummy for ages but the good thing about it is that I had plenty of room for my second set to drop in nicely. :-D

Always a silver lining ..... :-D

David

David Report 2 Aug 2019 17:10

Do those who can and sell foods add sugar because the foods without it

would not be as tasty as we are accustomed to ?

Many elderly people still possess their teeth because in their childhood most

foods and sweets were rationed.

Caroline

Caroline Report 2 Aug 2019 19:15

They do add a lot of sugar as we can get addicted to it yes, as with salt people are used to the taste.
If you need sweetness try Monk fruit no calories but you have to be careful if adding it to home bake cakes etc as you don't get the same volume...you need to experiment :-)

David

David Report 2 Aug 2019 21:15

I quit sugar many years ago, but it's hard to avaoid. It you like sauce on your meal

it's loaded with sugar. I like salt and vinegar, but not often, they're "artificial" too.

Chutney and the like are looaded with sugar, masking one taste with another.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 2 Aug 2019 21:26

Anything high in carbs breaks down to sugar. Hold a piece of bread in your mouth and it'll go sweet.

David

David Report 3 Aug 2019 12:11

Pat, I read a book by Mary Roach titled STIFF

It is all about the uses human cadavers are put to. It's fascinating,

it's available among Kindle books. Theyre used to test seat belts and are put to

so many other purposes including one relevant to this thread. Dental surgeons

don't their skills only from a book. The extrrractionns, fillings and bridges all

have to be practiiced before the Dental Surgeon is allowowed near a patient.

They practice their skills on the heads of cadavers.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 3 Aug 2019 12:25

I played about with skulls and teeth when I was qualifying, getting to understand dentition and the surrounding bones/tissue. Some were plastic others were real.

Sharron

Sharron Report 3 Aug 2019 15:18

An old lady who had been out to India with her husband on some sort of contract once told me that her dentist had advised her that, should she not be in a position to clean her teeth at night, she should chew a milk of magnesia tablet before going to bed.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 3 Aug 2019 15:22

That makes sense to me, Sharron, because by their very nature they react against acid.