General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Denosumab

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Phyll

Phyll Report 6 Aug 2019 11:36

I have osteoporosis & have been advised by Doc to have a 6 monthly injection of Denosumab. Has anyone had this injection, if so were there any side effects. I had Methotrexate which caused me to almost lose my foot so don't want anything that will upset me.
Thanks for any replies.
Phyll

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 Aug 2019 12:14

Phyl, maybe change the title to Denosumab then you are more likely to have replies from anyone who has used it.

Rambling

Rambling Report 6 Aug 2019 12:19

This is from 'Versus Arthritis'

Denosumab

Common possible side-effects include:

occasional skin infections (cellulitis) at the site of the injection
back pain
arm and leg pain
urinary tract infections
constipation
rash.
Less common side-effects include:

low blood calcium – your blood levels will be checked before you start treatment
and, rarely:

osteonecrosis of the jaw – a condition where healing is incomplete following an invasive dental procedure. An area of bone is exposed through the gum and a small amount of bone dies. This condition is more common if you have cancer, are having chemotherapy or you have severe, recurrent dental infections and are having dental treatment.

painful, partial or complete fractures in the upper, outer region of the thigh bone (femur) below the hip. Partial fractures are usually confirmed by a special diagnostic scan. The risk appears to increase the longer you've been taking these drugs, and may be greater if you're also having steroid treatment or have diabetes. However, it's still extremely rare.

and on https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a610023.html This is a US site but would likely still apply.

Do talk to the Dr about side effects, and if you are taking any other medication make sure the Dr knows.

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 6 Aug 2019 19:04

Phyll, do a lot of research before deciding. Go on a Denosumab Forum where people have taken this drug, also look at the ratings on Drug.Com, gather as much info as you can.

Phyll

Phyll Report 7 Aug 2019 13:51

Thanks to all for your kind replies.
Phyll