General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wyoming dinosaurs question

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 16 Aug 2019 15:23

Watching this yesterday on the news, a question I hadn't thought of before, and leaves me wondering ( as I often do about so may things lol) "How did dinosaurs get so big?"
"https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/nxVbFidDbs/mission-jurassic

"The plants are completely different from what we see around us today; flowering plants had yet to evolve," she explains, breaking open chunks of mudstone with her fingers to reveal fossil stems and twigs.

"In fact, these dinosaurs were eating things that we would consider to be very nutritionally poor - things like conifers (think 'monkey puzzle' trees), ferns, ginkgos, cycads and large horsetails. And we would love to be able to understand how they ate this food and still got to be the enormous sizes they evidently did."

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 16 Aug 2019 15:44

Eating plants old and new is a tough job needing strong teeth and a built in chemical plant to break down the input. To do that well you have to scale up.

At least some dinosaurs were warm blooded a few even had feathers. Those ones preferred the Golden Arches come lunchtime.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Aug 2019 23:10

Rose, it's amazing, what is still being discovered.
A 5ft tall penguin :-S

One day, they'll work out their digestive system, which may answer a lot of questions.

Assumptions answer nothing - remember what 'stone age man' was apparently like, when we were at school - mainly based on assumptions.
Most of that has been debunked :-D