General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

INFORMATION IE PERSONAL DATA

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 21 Aug 2019 06:33

There's been a lot of alarming news about what may of us suspected.

GOOGLE and FACEBOOK never delete any information on a client.

They use it, they share ir, they make it work, for them.

They know who you talked to, what about, what you bought, your preferences,

your credit card nunumber and more.

Makes me wonder if the DELETE facility is worth a light. DIRTY POOL.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Aug 2019 13:33

People are naive if they don't realise that these companies are businesses - the sole purpose is to make money for themselves in whatever way they can. No one is forced to put all their information on them. Facebook in particular I wouldn't dream of joining.

Kath. x

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 21 Aug 2019 13:46

Google collects an astonishing amount of data without users realising it. My son showed me just how people are tracked, likes/dislikes, friends, web sites visited, journeys made etc., also how to defeat many of the track and trace covert apps running in the background.

He also proved that your smart phone listens in to conversations even when on standby. He was discussing food vacuum sealers with his girlfriend when they were in the UK last Xmas. The next time they woke their borrowed phones the ads running were for.......yes food vacuum sealers.

He was trained by the MOD and does have a very good knowledge of all things cyber.

My great nephew will be majoring in cyber security (USA) this year. Smart lad!

I use FB because I need to keep in touch with family and friends all over the world. I hope my privacy settings are adequate but I accept by using FB I do put some of my personal details at risk.

Sue

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 21 Aug 2019 14:29

I am surprised that people are surprised at this. Facebook targets you with the adverts.

People have regretted telling the world about their holidays - been burgled, caught out when trying to sue companies for injury or food poisoning, claiming on the social as being incapable due to injury/illness etc.

Police finding wanted people and job loss for inappropriate behaviour or complaining about their jobs.

The world (well some of it) is watching you.

Don't start me on what Russia and China can do as well as all the info gathering being done.

You can get a card that you load with only what you want to spend online to safeguard your bank account.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 21 Aug 2019 14:35

The Go Henry card that Gndson 2 has.

I wrote about it quite some time ago, Pat. There will be other cards but this is ideal for children especially.

It is ideal because his Mum (my Dtr) can see what he's spending his money on and add to his funds online, eg pocket money etc.

Buses accept it as well as shops etc. It works a treat.

She put a tracker on his phone too. :-D

David

David Report 21 Aug 2019 15:15

Kathleen, I have to confess I use both.I'm not t pleased at knowing they know who I communicate with online. Their knowing my credid card detail, and can share them
doesn't make me feel comfortable
The knowledge that my deletions are known to them makes me extreemly uncomfortable.
Where's the point in a DELETE facility if it's just "relocated" ?
:-0 :-|

Von

Von Report 21 Aug 2019 15:20

Most people don't bother to adjust their settings.
Easy enough to opt out of the ads :-D

David

David Report 21 Aug 2019 15:35

I didn't get my first PC un til I had turned 60. I quickly twigged that through the internett much of the financial worl had access to each other.
The wide choice of antivirus programmes and their speed made me wonder were
they being marketed by the GIANT Microsoft !! but I still believed in in my naivety
that the DELETE button meant exactly that :-|

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 21 Aug 2019 16:22

Use this as your default search engine

https://duckduckgo.com/

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 21 Aug 2019 16:23

David, around 1984 (there's prescience for you) the place I worked at installed computers and we were in touch with about three or four distant bodies immediately - from hundreds to over a thousand miles away.

The 'workings' commandeered a whole office but were again behind a glass wall to avoid microscopic specks of dust affecting the mainframe. If we wanted to speak to 'the computer guy' we had to go through the outer door and wait for him to come out to speak with us.

How good and rapid are technological advances!

David

David Report 21 Aug 2019 17:26

I recacall in the 80's the Monopolies Commission took Microsoft / Bill Gates to

court for monopolising the software market. They lost.!!

MS software was everywhere.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 21 Aug 2019 18:13

1980s David? I thought it was a tad later than that but I have been known to be wrong - rarely, as I would tell my OH. ;-)

The USA has strict anti-trust laws.

Kense

Kense Report 21 Aug 2019 18:39

1998 was when they started the action.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 21 Aug 2019 18:42

More like what I thought Kense.

David

David Report 21 Aug 2019 19:19

Sorry all, I was just going off a fallible memory.