General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Still none the wiser

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 9 Sep 2019 12:11

In 1964, yes, fifty-five years ago, I started at grammar school.We had to learn our school song which was the Kipling poem "Sussex", or some of the verses anyway.

It is a brilliant poem and I love it but one of the verses has the line "or one the palm groves droned lament before Levukas trade" and I wondered what it might mean.

So, last year, after somebody read out part of the poem at the Harvest Festival, I finally looked it up (must have had burning curiosity!).

Levuka was, it would appear, the old capital of Fiji and I still have no idea what the trade was.Ah well.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 9 Sep 2019 12:38

Kipling was referring to the trade winds which blow across the islands.
Levuka is a wonderful place for a holiday.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Sep 2019 21:02

I'm not sure our Grammar School had a song - or poem.

The primary school in Mevagissey had one - we sang it every morning -
Trelawney! :-D :-D
A good sword and a trusty hand!
A merry heart and true!
King James's men shall understand
What Cornish lads can do!
And have they fixed the where and when?
And shall Trelawny die?
Here's twenty thousand Cornish men
Will know the reason why!

etc. etc.

At a school in Gunnislake, our school hymn was 'Hills of the North Rejoice'.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 10 Sep 2019 21:13

Maggie.... Every morning ? I wonder how many years that lasted.

Our grammar school always sang the same hymn on special occasions, so I suppose one could say it was the school hymn, but was never referred to that way.

"Now girls, we will sing hymn number 626, Praise to the Lord the Almighty, the king of creation"

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Sep 2019 21:50

Our school hymn was the predictable Jerusalem.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Sep 2019 22:06

Gwyn - definitely every morning I was there :-D
Not much beats a gentle Rebellion song first thing in the morning! :-D :-D :-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 10 Sep 2019 22:12

Sharron

I think we used to just accept rather than question words, which hopefully would be explained nowadays.

We used to listen to Singing Together on the radio, when in primary school and cheerfully sang about...' Quinquireme of Nineveh from distant Ophir,' without understanding all the words.

Sharron

Sharron Report 10 Sep 2019 22:37

Not to mention the dirty British coaster with the salt caked smoke-stack.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Sep 2019 09:40

Rollo once found a John Masefield recording of 'Cargoes'. I was deeply disappointed; our teacher emphasised the chug-chug rhythm of that verse. Masefield read it in a slow, sombrous voice. :-(

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 11 Sep 2019 12:04

Rollo's school song was "Cwm Rhondda" which I rather liked and still do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5NOVcefEYU

Beth sydd imi mwy a wnelwyf
Ag eilunod gwael y llawr?
Tystio 'r wyf nad yw eu cwmni
I'w gymharu a'm Iesu Mawr.
O! am aros
Yn Ei gariad ddyddiau f'oes.
Yn Ei gariad ddyddiau f'oes.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 Sep 2019 12:50

Another song sung at Mevagissey - along with 'Trelawney' was 'When Lamps are Lighted in the Town'.
This tended to be sung in Winter, when the weather was stormy.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 11 Sep 2019 14:05

I left Grammar before you started, Sharron, and as far as I am aware our school song was completely made up for our school, as was our school motto. I can only remember the last two lines of the song, so memorable was it!

We had assembly every morning with prayers, hymns and anything the Head wanted to enlighten us about.

At the start of each term we sang 'Morning has broken'. On the last day of each term we had an afternoon assembly at which we sang 'Now the day is over'.

I like 'Hills', Maggie.

Trelawney was sometimes part of singing along with schools radio broadcast when I was in primary school, as was John Peel, The Skye Boat Song, The British Grenadier and Scarborough Fair ... and a few more.

I like yours too, Gwyn and Rollo.

I knew a lot of poetry before I started senior school, courtesy of Dad who could recite a huge number of poems - a wonderful legacy of his schooldays in the 1920s. In fact, I can still recite the very first poem I learned at school in the 1940s - Someone.

patchem

patchem Report 12 Sep 2019 23:09

Just happened to be reading this thread, and decided to search again for a poem I had learned at school but could not find when last I did a googlesearch. I could do the first verse and an approximation of the last line of the second verse, but a hole in the middle.
No problem finding it this time.

Red in Autumn
by Elizabeth Gould

https://www.poetrynook.com/poem/red-autumn

Think I just liked the sound of 'Tipperty toes'

We had to learn and write out on Friday morning the poem of the week, at age of 7??

David

David Report 12 Sep 2019 23:13

The hymns and music in general was dominated by Mr Healey.

Nick named Sneb because of his nose.

He was the first yo play the Clarion at Newcastle's Civic Centre, talented.