General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

That was new!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Sep 2019 19:04

Happily listening to 'The News Quiz', my mobile rang.
Thinking it may be my daughter who I'm due to visit tomorrow, I didn't bother to look at the number.
It was a spammer asking me about an accident I had in my car, that wasn't my fault.
I pointed out that any car accident I had wouldn't be my fault, as I don't have a car, asked her to not bother scamming me again and to - you know - 'go away'.
Before I could turn my phone off, from her end, came an irritating 'bla bla bla' noise.
Sounds like scammers don't like being told where to 'get off; and now retaliate!

Sharron

Sharron Report 13 Sep 2019 19:22

One rang me back to call me a stupid lady.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Sep 2019 19:25

Did you have a chance to tell her what you thought of her?

I know it's a job for some, but surely they realise?....

To be honest, If I wasn't listening to the radio, I would have strung her along - you know, where was the accident, which of my many cars was I in, are you sure the chauffeur wasn't driving etc.

Sharron

Sharron Report 13 Sep 2019 19:38

The last time I had the accident call I had had an accident and it was my fault because I had hot-wired a car in the pub car park when I had had many pints and, when I drove it into the on-coming vehicle ,I had killed not only the driver and passengers in that but the seven people I was giving a lift to and was expecting a life stretch when I was well enough to appear in court.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Sep 2019 19:40

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Sep 2019 23:27

The last couple of times that I have had the Microsoft scam call ............... both within the last 2 weeks, one a male and one a female ............... they have argued with me when I said that I didn't have a computer so how could it need servicing.

They were both VERY persistent in their arguing.

They certainly are getting more aggressive.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Sep 2019 23:38

..it's almost like WE'RE in the wrong for not falling for it! :-|

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Sep 2019 04:01

That's true!

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 14 Sep 2019 07:35

A couple of years or so ago, I wrote on one of the threads about keeping a man, supposedly from TalkTalk, holding on for at least an hour while I chatted on about life in general, about the time it took me to get upstairs because of my bad knees (which I don't suffer from), about how it was taking a long time to get down on those same bad knees to switch everything on, about how I needed a new computer because my ancient one was taking so long to get going, about how it had begun to switch itself off .... Oops.

Switching to an even more doddery mode, I said I would try again if he waited. :-D

He declined but he must have been new as he had a protector because a very short while later the phone rang and I answered.

A female voice said 'Bitch'.

I am!!! :-D

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 14 Sep 2019 09:15

I usually riposte with NOT my fault???

its always my fault any thing I do or touch always goes wrong...etc etc...

at least, that's what my old lady tells me!!!

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 14 Sep 2019 09:27

When it's microsoft calling ;-) :-D we say we didn't know they'd taken over Apple and pretend we only have Apple products - they soon go. :-D :-D :-D :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 14 Sep 2019 10:39

If you set up a white list then you would only get calls and messages from people you want to hear from. Here is how to set up a Samsung phone (free) but other makes and models are much the same inc Apple iPhones.

https://tunecomp.net/whitelist-on-android-without-third-party-apps-samsung-galaxy/

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 14 Sep 2019 10:57

It's rare for us to get any type of unsolicited phone call and certainly that was the only scam call we've ever had. We've been here well over twenty years and only ever had two 'sales calls'. Once I asked them how they got our landline number and explained why they should not call us, they have apologised.

We have always been ex-directory wherever we've lived and been on the TPS list for years.

If you mean unsolicited mobile calls, I've never had one yet.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 14 Sep 2019 11:09

I was talking about mobile phones.
It is also possible to setup a whitelist for landlines but it involves some expense. BT Line will do most of what is needed for free assuming you have a BT line..
If I did not use a whitelist my phone would be ringing off the hook all day everyday :-(
It is yonks since I last used the landline.

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Sep 2019 12:16

I have never used a mobile very much, if I use one now I have to get a new SIM card in advance because mine is only calls in or out every one or two years. Just don't have the need of one.

We did used to get a tidy few nuisance calls but I think they have given us up as a bad job although we are often warned that our internet is going off.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Sep 2019 20:41

I have the facility to block calls on my 'unsmart' mobile phone, but as this is the first scam called I've received on it - strangely, I didn't have the number blocked!

As for the landline, most scam calls are when I'm at work.

Tawny

Tawny Report 14 Sep 2019 21:48

My dad got a call asking for Mr John. He is not in the phone book under J although John is his Sunday name. He wanted to know where they got his name from. Mr Owls aunt Jane also got a call claiming her home computer wasn’t working. Jane said I’m at work at the moment so nothing I can do. When asked where she worked Jane said Hewlett Packard which incidentally was true.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Sep 2019 22:43

Tawny - :-D :-D :-D :-D