General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Whoops!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Sep 2019 21:08

:-D :-D :-D :-D

That was a bit awkward,
Just had a call on my mobile.
A Northern voice said 'Margaret? Is that Margaret?'
Thinking it was my daughter (L) messing about (and possibly have partaken of wine), I replied, in a Northern accent
'Aye, 'tis Margaret - is that L?
The voice then asked again' Is that Margaret? Have I got the wrong number?'
'Definitely Margaret here, I said - and you would be L, how the devil are you?', I replied

I was about to add 'You sound a bit inebriated for the time of evening', when the lady on the other end of the phone said 'I'm sorry, I have the wrong number' and put the phone down.

I then noticed the number (a landline) - the call was from Warrington! ' :-0

Definitely not my daughter - but sounded just like her, putting on a Northern accent after a jar or two!

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 16 Sep 2019 14:56

She did not ask for Maggie?

You got a posh northerner there! ;-) :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 16 Sep 2019 16:34

Do you at least know someone in that area that might phone you??

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Sep 2019 18:12

She asked for 'Margaret' - which is what my daughter calls me when trying to annoy me. :-|

Caroline, I know no-one in Warrington - in fact no-one in the Midlands or North of England!

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 16 Sep 2019 23:14

I have two pals named Margaret - one (my bestie) always gets Maggie but I still call her Margaret which is how I knew her 55+ years ago. She always calls me by my second name, the one my Dad chose.

A Margaret acquaintance I see every week always gets Meg.

I haven't heard of a Peggy for over 50 years though, and I quite like that name.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Sep 2019 23:20

The name 'Peggy' is why I didn't want my name shortened in my 'youff'.
Dad always called me Maggie Mops, people who know me very well usually call me 'Mags', but both my elder daughter and her daughter (17 years old), if they see me in the street, usually shriek at me like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFQ_ZrRqBlQ

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 16 Sep 2019 23:26

Love it Maggie. :-D

Might try it on Wednesday when I go to the pics with my bestie. :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 17 Sep 2019 00:29

I have 2 Peggys living within a few doors of me right now...one is known as Peggy with the dogs to help ID which one we're talking about.