General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Update to 1939 Register

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Sep 2019 21:14

FMP announced today that there are over 79,000 closed records that have been opened to mark the 80th Anniversary of the Register (29th September).

The opened records are available ONLY on FMP

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Sep 2019 00:04

Brilliant news!
I won't bother re-joining FMP until I retire in 2 years, 9 months time (not that I'm counting :-|), when I'll be able to 'fully' research my Suffolk side, without work interfering :-D
By then, they may have more.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Sep 2019 00:17

maggie ............

I'm sure they will have more by then, but ................

I have a sub, if you want any information before then

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Sep 2019 00:25

Thank you, Sylvia. I think I have most of what I can get from the 1939 Register.
Dad was born in 1926, he died in 1994 - not sure he, or his sister would be on there yet.
I'd love to know where he was. I know granny sent him to private schools under various pseudonyms - then 'withdrew' him when the final bill was due - but in 1939, granny was in prison - where was he? The other problem is - under what name?
(She was a lovely lady, honest, guv :-D)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 Sep 2019 01:13

Your Dad is likely to be on there Maggie...... if you can fathom the name.

I have family members.., b. 1911 died 2006

and
b. 1937 ... died 1994 ...who are both shown

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Sep 2019 03:27

I have some who don't appear ..................

My uncle and aunt born 1895/6 weren't on for the longest time, largely because they died in Australia, but their names were opened about 18 months ago.

However, the only one of their 6 children to stay in England was born in 1929 and died in 2001, but is still a closed record. Of course, the records are closed for all 5 of his siblings who emigrated even though only 2 of them are still alive.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Sep 2019 09:43

This is hilarious!
Just re-looked at granny's Prison registration.
She gave 4 different names as her 'surname'.
A: - her real (maiden) surname
B: - The name of the man she was living with
C: - The name of the man who adopted my dad
D: - The name of a man I haven't looked into yet, but may be the 'young man' who, according to a newspaper report, was a 'bad influence' on her.
I say this, as B and C were Lieutenant Commanders - and much older than gran, and hardly 'young men'!

B was killed in 1940/41, helping French Resistance escape. He was married, but his wife lived as far away in Devon, from her husband, as she could get - and with a 'lodger'!

C was still happily married in 1939 - his wife died in 1940.
He adopted my dad in 1942. I say adopted. He and gran got married, but the 'adoption' papers are gran stating that C was adopting my dad.
His signature isn't on the papers.
At the time, Gran was living in Cornwall, C was living in Devon!
Oh yes, and when C died, he insisted on being buried in Christchurch with his 'beloved' first wife.

Island

Island Report 28 Sep 2019 10:18

Are names of those in the armed forces to be revealed? Does anyone know?

Maddie

Maddie Report 28 Sep 2019 12:22

can't find my mother or father, both born 1921 and died 1977 and 2003
i know my dad was in warley barracks in 1939 and mum was at home

have to wait for 1921 census i guess

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 Sep 2019 12:43

Maddie

Have you tried searching by birthdate in the area you expect them to be, but showing no name.?
Sometimes the list of 'possibles' might indicate someone worthy of investigation, but perhaps logged with incorrect surname.

Maddie

Maddie Report 28 Sep 2019 13:32

mum is a closed record on 1939 with her mum and dad, dad had joined up
Residence
20/01/1939 • Warley Barracks

Harry Last name Patchett Age - Birth year - Birth place - Attestation year 1939 Service number 937200 Former service number - Record set Royal Artillery attestations 1883-1942 Category Military, armed forces & conflict Subcategory Regim

Island

Island Report 28 Sep 2019 14:16

Maddie,
The 1939 Register was designed to capture the whereabouts of the civilian population on a specific date. Members of the armed services were not included in the register. The Register was not meant to record members of the armed forces and the records do not feature:
British Army barracks
Royal Navy stations
Royal Air Force stations
Members of the armed forces billeted in homes, including their own homes

However, the records do include members of the armed services on leave and civilians on military bases.

This also answers my question.

Maddie

Maddie Report 28 Sep 2019 14:56

thanks

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Sep 2019 00:07

I'm sure I found out where the Lieutenant Commander my gran was living with, via the 1939 register, but he was retired at the time. He re-enlisted shortly afterwards.