General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GRO - solved

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 28 Sep 2019 17:56

Is anyone else having problems with this site? Have had it saved in bookmarks and
have often used it but now Firefox says it is dangerous. Advice pleased as it is a great way to find MMN.

Thanks

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 28 Sep 2019 18:00

Just logged on to the site and tried it and it is working o.k. for me.

Is there something you would like looked up?

Kath. x

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 28 Sep 2019 18:09

Fine on Chrome :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 28 Sep 2019 18:17

Make sure that your Firefox is set to auto update and you should be ok. Current version is 69.0.1

Firefox has a tendency to mark sites as "dangerous" when their SSL site cert is a bit out of date or some other internet protocol has not been adhered to sufficiently in the eyes of Firefox.

This site
https://www.gov.uk/browse/births-deaths-marriages?_ga=

sits ok with Firefox right now.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 28 Sep 2019 18:56

Hi Rollo

Have looked and my Firefox is 69.0.1 so it is up to date. However, the bookmarked page is still saying "Dangerous". Will delete the bookmarked page, have a cup of tea and then try again.

Many thanks for your help.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 28 Sep 2019 18:58

Hi Kathleen

Thanks for the offer - was working on a non-vital very distant branch so will not bother you, but thanks once again.

Island

Island Report 28 Sep 2019 19:09

Hi Jacqueline, your link in bookmarks might be out of date. Delete it and add a new one.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 28 Sep 2019 19:31

Quite a lot of internet problems can be traced to misuse of DNS referrals ( what happens when you enter a url and enter a web site ).

Firefox/Mozilla now has the option of a secure encrypted DNS service, free.
Recommended.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-dns-over-https

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Sep 2019 21:54

I use Firefox, and have had the same bookmark for GRO for years.

I had no problems opening the page last night, and no warning of danger from Firefox.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 29 Sep 2019 15:11

The cup of tea must have worked! I deleted the bookmarked page last night and have just googled GRO login and all is now working find.

Thanks for the help and advice.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 29 Sep 2019 15:35

I use Firefox and had to change my GRO bookmarked page last week too.