General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

This looks interesting *Update*

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Oct 2019 23:27

It's a map showing the location of one of over 32,000 German air raids on the United Kingdom between September 1939 and March 1945. It also displays information on all the attacks on that location, including dates and times of attack and casualty numbers, based on wartime intelligence files from The National Archives, UK.

Unfortunately it's not opening at the moment, but that could be through too many people looking!

http://www.warstateandsociety.com/Bombing-Britain

**Just realised you need to sign in for a free trial !!

If you go to 'Data' and click on 'Bombing Britain - full dataset' - a huge spreadsheet of where the bombs fell, is revealed.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 16 Oct 2019 23:39

Interesting, thank you, Maggie

Lizx

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 Oct 2019 23:59

I saw this mentioned earlier today ............... I know one V2 bomb landed less than ½ mile from my home on Christmas Eve 1944, did a lot of damage and killed about 20 people.

Plus several others landed elsewhere in Oldham, one was found around 5 years ago, buried in a school playground!

Thanks for posting the link, Maggie

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Oct 2019 00:00

The following is a site that I have used for a nubmer of years, that others might not know about.

It also has bomb sites

http://aircrashsites.co.uk

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 17 Oct 2019 13:51

Surface ones you can use but where there's more than one in the area it covers up the access.

Caroline

Caroline Report 17 Oct 2019 16:00

I know Hitler ruined my Mums 3rd Birthday with one of his bigger raids on the South coast ! Seriously though, the house behind them the shelter took a direct hit she remembers leaving her shelter and seeing body parts in trees not great at any age but 3......not the only time she saw awful things over the war.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Oct 2019 19:42

One of my great great grandfathers on my mother's side, Louis Baggott, was killed in Aldeburgh, aged 93, by German planes dropping their loads as they headed back to Germany.
He had a greengrocers shop in a row of shops, in the High Street.
His shop took a direct hit, he was killed instantly.
About 15 years ago, mum, my sister and I went up to Suffolk, to do a bit of 'on the spot' genealogy.
We found where we thought his shop was, and I went into the sweet shop next door, where a very elderly lady was behind the counter. I explained who I was, and why I was there, and, it transpires, she was a lifelong Aldeburgh inhabitant who used to go into Louis's shop (which was where we thought it was), as the veg were 'boo-i-ful'!

The lady, being behind the counter was facing the door, I had my back to the door. I heard it open, and the woman exclaimed 'Now you're definitely a Baggott!'
I turned around, expecting to see a long lost relative - only to see my mum! :-D