General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Well,that's a bit awkward

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Nov 2019 16:14

I don't have a smart phone, so don't look at my emails all the time.
Just looked, and I have one from work! :-S
This isn't the first time I've received one - they call me Maggie at work, but my work email address is Margaret, somehow they find this confusing.
Unfortunately, the email - sent yesterday - was asking me to finish something off (not something I started, so not my 'fault') ASAP! :-(

Ummm...that's not going to happen.....

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Nov 2019 16:51

Oops. was it sent in working hours, are you supposed to check emails That is are you expected to work from emails received? If not why do they send them to you? Was the person who sent it in the same building? Maybe they should have asked you face to face.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Nov 2019 16:59

Ir was sent at 10 am yesterday - I obviously check work emails, but don't have my personal emails open on a work PC - we're not meant to do personal stuff whilst at work!
Yes the person was in the same building, we were both in one of two rooms that are across the corridor from each other!

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 2 Nov 2019 19:04

I don't have a smartphone either. I think mine is a "dumbphone" It runs on coal!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Nov 2019 19:20

Bob :-D :-D :-D

Allan

Allan Report 2 Nov 2019 20:39

Mine's even older, Bob, it works on water power!

Could explain why I drink so much :-S :-D :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 2 Nov 2019 21:43

Lol Bob and Allan, I always say that Noah had mine in the ark with him. ;-)

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 2 Nov 2019 21:48

Not to do with smart phones and the like but my son’s boss phoned him when he got home to tell him off for not leaving his desk tidy, I took the phone and told his boss that he had done his contracted hours and any telling off should be done when he, my son was back at work.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Nov 2019 21:57

I agree, ZZzzz!
I dislike all this 'clear desk' policy.
Having said that, we're regularly moved about at work - too many workers, not enough desks!

ann

ann Report 2 Nov 2019 22:01

I am retired now but the last year at work I got work emails on my smart phone. They drove me mad. They were coming through at all hours. Not very good with the phone I just ignored them to I was back in work. Would not reply after I had finished work. I was not being paid after my contracted hours had finished. This is how companies do not let you switch off. I did lol

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Nov 2019 22:08

Ann, I've got a PC at home where I can see my personal emails.
The glory is, I don't know when I've received an email, so only look when it suits me.
I've realised, emails quite often mean you're doing some company's 'admin' - be it the utility company, or the Government's 'nest' pension - somehow you end up doing their work!

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 3 Nov 2019 11:12

I’m retired now too but at work we were not allowed camera phones at all so I used a dead basic phone ( one of Noah’s ) I put 141 in front of all numbers to do with work so I could phone them without them having my number, I said if you want me get me on my home number or come round to where I am working, they weren’t happy because I wasn’t at their beck and call. I was there for 16 years.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 3 Nov 2019 11:47

Hot desking, Maggie; I've been retired many years now but heard about it when I was still working. Luckily, I've never experienced it but it's happening more now.

I have always liked and believed in a clear desk policy wherever I worked but it would have been an impossibility if hot-desking.

I inherited a Smartphone from granddtr and I do like it.... It only works when I answer though, and if I'm busy or dancing I never answer. My daughter's been on the cusp of sending out a search party a couple of times but now she's used to it! ;-) :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 3 Nov 2019 16:57

As I work in education, we have to leave our smartphones in the staffroom in our bags. We are not allowed to have them in any classroom.

We think this is because obviously the smartphone has a camera on it although the teachers are allowed but not the support staff!

I have a separate email for work and only access that on a school computer

Florence in the hebrides

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Nov 2019 20:02

I retired before iPhones and smart phones were the "in" thing.

We all either had our own landline phone or a shared phone with 3 or 4 others.

Now, I hear that there are few landlines, only for those who are dealing with the public, like the Director, Receptionist and Events Planner.

Everyone has their own work cell phone ................... which is a safety feature for some, the gardeners are often working alone in remote parts of the garden, and something which had been requested for them even while I was still there but refused as "too expensive". But I don't really understand why those who work mainly in the Office Building have to have the cell phone.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 3 Nov 2019 22:00

A couple of the managers have 'work' smartphones. The test jst constantly look at their own smartphones :-\