General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Another random question ;-)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 9 Nov 2019 13:32

Why is that when you wash a duvet cover,anything that you wash with it inevitably ends up inside it, and then if you dry them in the tumble drier it does the same again?

Rambling

Rambling Report 9 Nov 2019 13:33

Is it the same rule that means there is always one spoon left in the washing bowl, or one sock you can't find a mate for? :-S

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 9 Nov 2019 13:47

Not sure Rose. I fare well in the spoon and sock department although I have lost a couple of spoons and gained two odd ones - one very distinctive from OH's workplace many years ago and the other from someone else's home - she may have mine.

I stand beside you in the wash conundrum though! :-D.

Barbra

Barbra Report 9 Nov 2019 14:10

If you fasten duvet buttons or press studs before washing inside out. after it's dry easier to put back on Duvet & no washing inside :-) :-)

Island

Island Report 9 Nov 2019 14:13

I often have to fish out a tud sock from the a top corner of the duvet. Odd because bedding and smalls don't go in the washing machine together :-S

Why does just two pieces of pasta stick to the pan?

Barbra

Barbra Report 9 Nov 2019 14:16

Last screw or nail never goes in straight !!

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 9 Nov 2019 14:23

I always do duvet studs up before washing. which solves that problem, but I have yet to work out how sleeves always end up inside out!!

Not to mention trouser legs. Only one - never both of them! :-S :-S

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Nov 2019 14:30

Or whole sweaters. And socks up sweater sleeves, usually in the tumble drier.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 Nov 2019 14:40

...I have a duvet cover (king size) that has no buttons/studs :-(
The ones that do have buttons/studs still manage to 'eat' knicker/socks etc.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 9 Nov 2019 15:01

Don't you just hate it when you open the washing machine and out pop bits of a well-washed tissue!

I check my own and expect OH to check his but once he had a whole small pack of tissues in his shirt pocket and he forgot and I missed them.

Takes ages to pick out all the bits then wash everything again!

Barbra

Barbra Report 9 Nov 2019 15:06

Yes that's happened to me bits of tissue stuck to washing never me though OH never checks his pockets ;-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 Nov 2019 16:18

I have no-one to blame but myself for tissues in the washing machine.
Which is why I wash everything inside out!

Caroline

Caroline Report 9 Nov 2019 18:31

What about fitted sheets they have the same effect as the covers but you can close them.....always bundled up in the washing machine or dryer.
And yes tissues...no one ever admits to it obviously as by then I'm usually cursing and bringing all of the wrongdoings I can think of onto them :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Nov 2019 21:40

We also have one duvet cover that does not have any fastenings. We often find a pair of OH's underpants or one of his hankies inside ............. which is strange ebcause neither of them are washed with the duvet cover.