General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

This is getting ridiculous

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Nov 2019 20:12

Fireworks last weekend, every day last week - and today, they've been going since 6pm in various back gardens.
Poor Betty has been under my bed all this time, George is in the wardrobe.
I went to put some rubbish in the bin and nearly chocked on the smoke :-|

Allan

Allan Report 10 Nov 2019 21:01

I read one news report that someone let off a firework during a Remembrance Sunday meeting :-|

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-50367340

Rambling

Rambling Report 10 Nov 2019 21:22

Been going on for weeks now, and particularly bad last Thursday. As it's built up here everything echoes off walls. The cats particularly hate the 'depth charge' type ones that vibrate the windows :-(

Sharron

Sharron Report 10 Nov 2019 21:29

Jacky is in and the cat flap is open if any other pussies wish to take shelter.

I don't even know if Shadow still visits but I do hope so.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Nov 2019 22:23

Betty's finally come down.
George doesn't usually hide - I expect he's been involved in a fight with another cat - that'll be next doors cat.
Totally decked and pebbled 'garden' next door - and the dogs poo on the pebbles.
Where is their cat meant to go?
On my grass, apparently.
Which is also a sign of dominance in cats - so George would protect his territory.
Now he's 13, he's not as 'fit' as he used to be :-(

Allan

Allan Report 10 Nov 2019 22:23

Fortunately, as far as I know, Bonfire night does not feature in the Australian Social Calendar, presumably due to the fact that the politicians have managed to stuff up the Westminster democratic system without any outside help.

Our big day is yet to come, Australia Day, celebrated every January 26th in a sea of alcoholic fuelled rhetoric, culminating in monstrous fireworks displays throughout the land, the total cost of which would provide a couple of hospitals and numerous schools.

Fireworks can't be purchased by individuals, but every year somehow individuals still manage to procure them and set them off.

Admittedly the problem does not seem to be as serious as in the UK, but it's still a nuisance :-|

Sharron

Sharron Report 10 Nov 2019 22:26

I think it wholly appropriate that Australia should celebrate my birth in this way.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Nov 2019 22:33

My younger daughters birthday too! :-D :-D :-D

Allan

Allan Report 10 Nov 2019 22:40

I will drink a few extra glasses of wine and let of a few bangers in honour of both occasions :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Nov 2019 22:48

I won't say anything about a few extra glasses of wine and the type of 'bangers' I'm prone to set off :-D :-D :-D :-D

Allan

Allan Report 10 Nov 2019 23:09

Gas warfare was first used in WW1 :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Nov 2019 23:51

At least my 'bangers' don't frighten animals (very often), neither do they leave plumes of visible pollution :-D
Olfactory pollution is a different discussion. :-P

Allan

Allan Report 11 Nov 2019 00:00

:-D :-D :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 11 Nov 2019 07:36

Bangers & mash - a favourite UK classical diet.