General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

They have been busy today

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 12 Nov 2019 11:10

OH has just been sent the an e-mail offering the opportunity to get twenty-nine million dollars just by sending a deposit to somebody to get it out.

He just doesn't know how lucky he is because I have been warned that the internet is being cut off today .Somebody rang to let me know.

He could so easily have missed out on it!

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 12 Nov 2019 13:45

I've also had the internet access will be cut off within 24 hrs call this morning, because of illegal activity apparently.

If I'd pressed 1, wonder how premium the number I connected to would have been... ;-)

Allan

Allan Report 12 Nov 2019 20:57

Well I don't believe them any more!

We were told that as the NBN (National Broadband Network) was now in our vicinity we had 24 hrs to connect to it otherwise the connection would be removed. This was via a phone call.

Strangely, the first call was received nine months after we had connected to the NBN which mean that we no longer had a phone landline as we were now on VOIP.

We receive these calls on a regular basis now, and I wait with bated breath for the day we can no longer access the internet.

I am also waiting eagerly for the 'local policeman' to come and arrest me, as advised by the Tax Office :-0

:-D :-D

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 13 Nov 2019 11:14

We had the "internet is going to be suspended" phone call at 7.30 am this morning, after getting about 4 calls from them at various times yesterday. I was annoyed because I am not a morning person and was still in bed when the phone rang and woke me up. Luckily my son was up and he answered it and just put the phone down on them.

Kath. x

Florence61

Florence61 Report 13 Nov 2019 12:29

Kathleen, did you dial 1471 to see if there was a number? Cold callers are not allowed to phone before 8am I think.
I had a call re my internet and how it was going to be cut off but I just hung up.
But I dialled 1471 and it did have number which I googled.
So strange it lead me to a page for solicitors who represent police stations around the country!!!!

I also have had the said emails offering me large sums of money from Africa if I send monies to release it...hahaha really we are not that daft surely?

Florence in the hebrides

Rambling

Rambling Report 13 Nov 2019 12:49

Just had a phone call and friend has said that a mutual friend of ours appears to have fallen for one of these scams, is in a really distressed state but won't discuss it on the phone in case 'they' are listening in as they "know where she lives" :-(

She's elderly and has always said that it's not polite to ignore the caller or put the phone down on someone though she has been warned about scams. I'm just hoping she hasn't been done for too much though I suspect she has fallen for one of the bank scams :-( I think she's approaching the police I hope her pride doesn't stop her sorting it out.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 13 Nov 2019 23:13

My mum is like that Rose She always says(without thinking) " im elderly and I live on my own"!
I have tried to tell her not to say that but just hang up without speaking but it doesn't come easy to her.
In fact last week, one tel her to say £600 had been used on her card and she had to press 1 to continue.
Thankfully, she never uses her card and she hung up and rang me straightaway.
We got the number on 1471 and sure enough, it warned of a scam.
But I have to remind mother all the time to be wary because she does get muddled easily and who knows what she would tell the caller!

Florence in the hebrides

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Nov 2019 23:43

I had a call from someone who was going on about an accident I had had in my car (I don't drive), so I was 'stringing him along'.
He asked my age - when I told him he said 'you sound younger', I told him to get a 'proper' job - and where to go!

Last week, I had a call on my mobile - apparently the HMRC were coming to 'take my assets' if I didn't press button '1'. Unfortunately it was a robotic recorded message - but, as I was at work stood up and told everyone in the open plan office, that the HMRC were on their way to take our computers.
Not a good idea when you're a temp, but I had been told they would be 'losing' me at the end of December :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 14 Nov 2019 03:44

All of the above and weirdly one that keeps phoning from different numbers whenever I block them, but always the same person speaking when they leave a message.....speaking in Polish!! First number was from Poland. With the others I've often strung them along with the old your computer has a virus...even to the extent when they say sign into your computer I ask them how to turn it on as the kids usually do it for me :-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Nov 2019 13:58

I told one once that I didn't have a phone.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 14 Nov 2019 14:20

why not just install a call blocker

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CPR-Call-Blocker-V108-Programmed-Grey/dp/B004BTVQ5E

or at least use the free BT service

https://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/phones-tablets/bt-call-protect-free-service-crackdown-nuisance-calls-11364136279348

or mayb some scammer brightens up a dull day.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Nov 2019 07:51

Installing a call blocker is very easy in theory - but they keep changing numbers!
I refuse to use Amazon, and £44.99 is a lot of money to pay for the odd call!
As they usually call when I'm at work, I couldn't be bothered with the faff. :-\
Quite often, if they call when I'm at home, and I can't be bothered with them, I just put the phone on the table and put it back when it begins to beep.
That's 4 minutes when they couldn't make another call. :-D

I'm also not with BT, though I'm sure other providers offer a similar scheme.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Nov 2019 08:47

The scammers called me a couple of days ago offering me a call blocker product......

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 15 Nov 2019 11:04

Another approach - don't use BT, VMedia etc.

https://tinyurl.com/wd32qy9

needs a reliable broadband connection, can use your existing number.