General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Non stop long haul flight

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 15 Nov 2019 13:40

London to Sydney 19.5 hours.

I stopped over in Kuala Lumpur and it was a relief to get off the flight and have a proper walk around.

Not sure even with exercises on board I would be that keen lol.

Dermot

Dermot Report 15 Nov 2019 13:51

It took nearly as long for some Thomas Cooke holidaymakers to return home from Europe.

The paraphernalia of modern technology will fly us to our graves.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 16 Nov 2019 20:20

I travel to Australia and quite enjoy the stop at a Singapore, couldn’t imagine being on the plane for the whole trip. However when my Grandmother sailed there in 1928 it took 3 months..... I think.

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 16 Nov 2019 22:28

When we flew from Singapore (or possibly K.L., i was too young to remember) in 1955, we had two overnight stops.

Did the journey again (from Singapore) in 1960 we had two short refuelling stops, but were held up in Istanbul for a few hours because of fog in London. How times have changed!

I wouldn't fancy staying on a plane for 19and a half hours, unledd I could travel first class and could sit, stand or lie down any time that i wanted to. A massage enroute wouldn't go amiss either. :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Nov 2019 01:13

When we flew from England to Australia back in 1975, we arranged to visit friends in S Africa on the way.

We flew from London to Nairobi, had a refuelling stop (with us all still on the plane), then on to Johanneburg, then had a 2 week stopover there. We then flew from Johannesberg to Capetown to Perth, where we had to disembark at midnight to got through Customs and Immigration, then re-board to continue on to Melbourne.

All with a 15 month old ........... I can't remember how long each section took, it was all a blur of trying to get kid to sleep and not annoy anyone!

But my best friend had emigrated to Australia back in the 60s, and about the same time that we were taking our flights down there, her mother was flying from London to Dubai, refused a stop over there, and then on to Sydney. She had to be taken off the plane and into the terminus in a wheelchair. Her daughter was really upset about it ............... but her long trip allowed us to spend time with my "second mother".

Dermot

Dermot Report 18 Nov 2019 07:03

Are we there yet?