General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

His Dark Materials

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 17 Nov 2019 21:30

Has anyone else watched this drama? Ive been trying to work out what decade its set in as tonight it showed a scene with computers and a discussion about facial recognition took place! very new isn't it?

Ive tried to get into it but for some reason, talking animals, air buses not planes just doesnt do it for me. All I can understand is that someone stole lots of children and took them to London? But why and what for Im not sure.

Anyone else understanding the plot or have I lost the plot in not understanding it? :-S :-S :-S

Florence in the hebrides

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 17 Nov 2019 22:07

Lyra's 'world' is similar to ours in some ways but people's souls are represented by the animals (daemons).

I think I might find it weird had I not read the books (which I enjoyed).

Florence61

Florence61 Report 17 Nov 2019 22:13

Oh I see Sheila. Well I haven't read the books so yes im finding it weird!

Thanks for that

Florence in the hebrides

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 17 Nov 2019 22:16

Have read the books (by Philip Pullman). it was quite a while ago, so can't remember how faithfully to the books i tis. However regarding the time frame The story is set in a different world/dimension. So the Oxford in the t.v. series (and the books) is not the Oxford that we know (at any time period). Somethings will therefore seem to be behind the world we know and others are fantasy (to our world).
A parallel (spl?) world, happening at the same time as ours. When one of the charectors goes through the portal (or gate) he crosses over to our world (or a world more like our own).

I think that the books were written around 12-15 years ago. It is over ten years since I read them, but i was fascinated by the different "time frame" in Lyra's world as compared with mine.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 18 Nov 2019 12:57

Ah thanks for explaining it. Think Ive a better understanding already.

Florence in the hebrides :-)

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 18 Nov 2019 18:36

Was it not originally written for children? I have been following it, and yes, it can be a bit difficult.

Mersey

Mersey Report 19 Nov 2019 10:52

Hi Florence :-D <3

I was so looking forward to watching this, I was bored half way through so gave
up which is not like me. Some great actors in the cast too its a shame :-(

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 19 Nov 2019 11:55

I'd say it was written for older children/teens. Doesn't stop oldies enjoying it though :-)

Mersey, I can understand that, it wouldn't normally be my 'bag' either but I did enjoy the books and am quite enjoying the series, don't watch much TV these days so it's a nice Sunday evening relaxer.

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 20 Nov 2019 01:27

I read the books (on special offer from somewhere) and at the time reckoned that my grandson shouldn't read them till he was around 12.

probably aimed at the pre or early teen market, but sill suitable for adult reading. I quite like some books written for the teen market.
Also good to know what they are reading or influenced by.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 21 Nov 2019 11:04

Airships have a bright future.