General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

repair shop

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 19 Nov 2019 11:17

Great to see the program back on. In the summer I went to the repair shop hoping to see in side but, it was roped off as they where filming this new series.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 19 Nov 2019 11:57

We love it a lovely programme. :-D :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Nov 2019 13:19

Love that program

Came across it by chance and was hooked

The experience and expertise on repairs is phenomenal

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 19 Nov 2019 15:26

We love it too :-)

Oneof the best bits is that it costs the owner nothing for repairs that would be way beyond the reach of most people.

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 19 Nov 2019 17:12

There is also.....

Money for Nothing.... BBC

Find it Fix it Flog it.... Ch4

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 19 Nov 2019 18:36

they have to weed out the genuine applicants from the opportunists......"allegedly"

Linda

Linda Report 19 Nov 2019 22:27

I love it as well came across it by accident and every comes to a standstill when its on

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 20 Nov 2019 02:39

I watch these shows when I can and love them.

If I had the chance I would do more upcycling but nowhere here to do thngs. It breaks my heart to see the things thrown in the skips at the recycling centre. Some people are lazy and can't be bothered to advertise free stuff, they just want it gone. Young people especially seem happier to throw things away and buy new rather than get something repaired. My own son has done that but he does also recycle things to charity shops and buys from them too. He also picked up an immaculate fire surround and hearth etc from an online site for £40. He has made shelving, a corner computer desk and a cat tower from pa!let wood and spare carpeting. Luckily he seems to have inherited his grandfather's skills at d.i.y and carpentry, decorating etc.

I picked up a brillant exercise bike for o.h. In the summer, free, to help him get some exercise and keep his dodgy knees moving. It came from gumtree.

I wish there were more ways to pass things on. I believe in Holland? unwanted furniture etc is left outside homes on a certain day so others take the items away to use.

There should be more ways for old doors, furniture etc to be reused instead of dumped.

Liz xx

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Nov 2019 08:18

Liz,

When we lived in Germany, there was a scheme like you say there is in Holland. We called it bulk rubbish day and once items were placed outside, it was recognised that anyone who could use them could take them before the collection lorry came round.
I remember my girls found a wonderful Silver Cross pushchair, which they used for their dolls.

I like the repair shop too and it is great that it's the stories behind an object that makes them so valued by the owners, rather than monetary worth.

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 20 Nov 2019 11:02

Thank,s for your comment,s. As you might know the REPAIR SHOP is on WEST DEAN ESTATE, my great- aunts & uncles all worked in WEST DEAN HOUSE & on the land late 1800-early1900. I was told that my gr-grandmother used clean the fire grates & blacked the surrounds early every morning.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 21 Nov 2019 01:02

Must had been a hard life for your greatgrandmother. I think some of my paternal relatives worked in similar positions at Radclive Hill.

Lizx