General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Explaining Grandad' long walk 100 years ago.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 22 Nov 2019 23:51

My poor old granddad had to walk the length of the village and back in bad weather on the night of 22/11/1919 because, on the 23/11 11919, Nan gave birth to the ond and only Fred.

Yes, today would have been Fred's 100th birthday.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Nov 2019 23:59

wow!

Happy birthday to Fred,

and congratulations to you to keep him going for so long, you hard-hearted person you :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 Nov 2019 00:00

No, he is not still going, Sylvia.

If he had been he would have been 100 today.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Nov 2019 00:19

Ah, Sharron - but you kept him going for a very long time, with a useful life! :-D :-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 23 Nov 2019 02:00

Wow, Happy 100th Birthday to Fred! Sausage sandwiches all round!

Lizxx

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Nov 2019 02:50

Your dad was possibly (I don't know his ranking in the family) a much appreciated son, there to help with the farm etc.
I don't suppose his parents had an inkling of the role their grand daughter would have in the final years of their son's life.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Nov 2019 03:21

Sharron, I did know that!!

But you did keep him keep him going a lot longer than might otherwise have happened.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 23 Nov 2019 08:57

"Like"!

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 23 Nov 2019 09:32

Happy birthday to Fred, Ihope you are having a party. He will be there in “spirit”

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Nov 2019 09:37

A special day of special memories.

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 Nov 2019 14:47

Fred didn't work on the farm very much, it wasn't their farm anyway, Grandad had been a shepherd there since he was seven and he was forty-two when Fred was born. He was a shepherd for something like seventy-five years.

Fred's brother, Bill worked on the same farm for fifty-odd years.

Fred aspired to greater things, he became a delivery boy for the village shop but I think he must have spent some time on the farm but never went back after he left the navy. He became a lorry drivers mate until h passed his driving test and started lorry driving.

I think Nan might not have been surprised that I stuck by Fred, she was the nearest thing I ever had to a mother and looked after me until she died at sixty-five, when I was five. I have said before on here that any tiny bit Of decency in my character is entirely down to Nan.