General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Confused.com

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 Nov 2019 20:42

added a follow up message.

I have just received the following alert from GR but I am confused as I have never heard of the person. Is it Genuine

Stephen Steere has given you access to their Keepsafe on Genes Reunited.

Click here to review your Keepsafe permissions

To give Stephen Steere permission to view your Keepsafe or send a message to find out more, visit your contact centre on Genes Reunited.

Rambling

Rambling Report 25 Nov 2019 20:47

There is a Stephen Steere in trees on here Ann so it is possible, but I can't see that he has posted anywhere on the boards so don't know why he would have given you access? I'd be cautious and see if he messages you?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 Nov 2019 21:11

Thanks Rose that was my idea as well. Never spoken to him.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 26 Nov 2019 14:19

Further to this I have now received a message from Genes regarding the same person saying tree shared but I can't fins where to look to see where or why. Does it mean he has shared his tree with me? If so how do I view it (where?)

This is the message received.
"To give Stephen Steere permission to view your tree, see the surnames in their family or send a message to find out more, visit your contact centre on Genes Reunited. "

If I look in my contacts list his name is not there.

Kense

Kense Report 26 Nov 2019 14:34

If the system is working properly then you should be able to see his tree by selecting your tree. Then at the top of the page under your name should be "View other trees". Select that and his name should be somewhere in the list.

If you want to put him in your contacts list then sending him a message should work.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 26 Nov 2019 14:39

Thanks Kense I will try that

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Nov 2019 17:06

Ann ..........

I have several (around 6) emails from GR over the last year saying that so-and-so has shared their tree with me, but then there has been no pm on here.

I just do not bother.

It's probably the automated message from GR that doesn't give any information as to why or who they are. I'm not interested in fishing expeditions. If they can't send me a proper pm explaining why they think there is a connection, the I can't be bothered casing after them.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Nov 2019 15:25

It is fine Sylvia, I contacted him and it was genuine. So thanks for the advice Kense.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Nov 2019 16:18

Oh and actually just found in my files I have been in contact with him before, would you believe 2005!!!! No wonder I couldn't remember 14 years ago. :-D :-D