General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A bit OTT?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 27 Nov 2019 21:29

About six weeks ago we asked for a quote from a tree-loping firm to remove one smallish tree, one dead tree and trim another, all of which were in the back garden.

We were given the quote, which we accepted, and heard nothing more from the company until last Tuesday when they said that they would be round the following day.

Noe I should say that none of the trees were large. Our garden ain't that big, and in giving us the quote a representative from the firm had actually inspected said trees and their positions.

Just before lunch time yesterday (Wednesday) I glanced out of the front window and hollered to OH that the guys had arrived to perform the surgery.

OH said, 'Are you sure it's them?'

I replied that with two utes parked on the verge together with a large truck hauling an industrial wood grinder and a mobile cherry picker on the other side of the road, all bearing the name and logo of the company, yes I was pretty certain that it was them :-S

In all, eight blokes turned up, proceeded to have their lunch and then went to work.

OH did point out to them that we were only after a couple of trees to be removed not an entire bl**dy forest.

Unfazed, the head honcho pointed out that they had several jobs to do, all of then much larger than ours, and they tried to fit the piddling small ones such as ours when on their way to the large ones.

I bet the neighbours were worried though! :-D :-D :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 27 Nov 2019 23:07

:-D :-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 27 Nov 2019 23:40

Nice attitude, Not!

Lizx

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 27 Nov 2019 23:42

:-D :-D :-D
I have a leylandii 'hedge' that has become somewhat overgrown.
Elder daughter's bloke is a tree surgeon.
Two years ago, they were going to trim it - then the council employed contractors to re-roof my house - no warning, I just arrived home to scaffolding down the side of the house. Well, after contacting the council, I was assured I would be informed of any other movement, which is why I arrived home that night to scaffolding around the back of my house - through a locked gate!!.
Anyway, this scaffolding remained for longer than needed - and the leylandii grew.
Worst bit was it grew by the boiler outlet pipe, and a bay tree grew too near the guttering.
About 2 weeks ago, my sister turned up with a chain saw and extendable saw.
We cleared the outlet pipe and gutter of tree.
Daughter was here last weekend, and notice our effort.
I pointed out, that it was done by me, and her aunt (approaching 70).
Daughter's lovely bloke may be on the scene soon! :-D :-D :-D

Allan

Allan Report 27 Nov 2019 23:58

OH was going to do some of the work herself, but we recently got rid of the petrol chain saw and purchased an electric one which would not have been fit for purpose.

Also, one of the trees had branches overhanging two of our neighbours' yards (one at the side and the other at the rear)

We thought it best to leave it for the professionals :-D :-D

The job took less than half an hour and that included a general clean up when they had finished the lopping

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 27 Nov 2019 23:59

Yes. my problem is the clean up :-S