General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Annoyed Owl Tonight

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 28 Nov 2019 20:29

Mr Owl and I have now received 6 letters in two months from a well known energy company for the previous owner of our flat which we bought in July 2017. The energy company are not the ones supplying the flat and they haven’t for over a year. Due to my previous dealings regarding the man living in the flat before us I have a good idea what the letters will be about.

I’ll give you an idea of what this man is like. He was born in 1985 and had of 2017 according to bailiffs on the doorstep not paid council tax for 10 years at various properties across the city. Opened letters left behind showed £10,000 of credit card debt, unpaid mobile phone bills and letters from an agency offering to help sort monthly repayments if he was having problems. All this whilst living in the flat with his fiancée later wife and claiming to be living alone which in Edinburgh gives you a 25% discount on your council tax regardless of age.

What worries me is why the letters are coming to the flat now more than two years after they left.

Barbra

Barbra Report 28 Nov 2019 22:22

Just put not at this address on the Envelope take photo before you post .you can't open post if not in your Name .it's illegal .just don't worry not your debt contact CAB they will help Martyn Lewis from TV has a help line Barbara.

Tawny

Tawny Report 28 Nov 2019 22:40

We have put not at this address on the envelopes and sent them all back. I think I may have to phone the company tomorrow and try to get Mr Clarty removed from my address. If that doesn’t work then your right. My local cab office may be able to help. The most worrying thing is why now is it being sent to my address.

Barbra

Barbra Report 28 Nov 2019 22:51

The thing is people want their money honestly don't worry let someone legal help you .

Tawny

Tawny Report 28 Nov 2019 23:06

Thank you.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 29 Nov 2019 09:11

Tawny, don’t worry about it. We had a similar thing when we moved to our current address 6 years ago. We kept getting letters for the previous chap who lived here, particularly from American Express and the various utility companies. I just kept crossing the address through and writing on them in big letters “Moved away in 2013” and putting them back in the post box. It took about 3 years but eventually they stopped.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 29 Nov 2019 11:50

Send a notice of disassociation (by registered delivery) to the major credit agencies - Equifax and Experian - and you will then be immune from anything a previous occupant may have got up to. Just return to sender is insufficient especially in Scotland.