General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

holocaust

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian

Gillian Report 27 Jan 2020 11:37

hi how can i find if relatives where in the holocaust hopefully they were not there? is there any list of people that were in this horrible placethanks GILL

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 27 Jan 2020 12:01

The holocaust was not a place, Gill, it was the extermination of 6 million Jews. There were many camps where this took place. If your relatives were in one of these camps, the chances are that they did not survive. So did your relatives survive and were they Jews?

Maddie

Maddie Report 27 Jan 2020 12:59

may be of some help

www.jewishgen.org › databases › holocaust

JewishGen's Holocaust Database - JewishGen.org

www.wienerlibrary.co.uk › genealogy-records-and-resources

Genealogy Records and Resources - Wiener Library

www.ancestry.co.uk › search › categories › jewishholocaust

Jewish Records - Holocaust - Ancestry - Ancestry.com

Rambling

Rambling Report 27 Jan 2020 14:07

Shoah ( The Holocaust) names database is on

https://www.yadvashem.org/

There is a wealth of general information there also.

Harswell

Harswell Report 27 Jan 2020 23:23

The Holocaust was not just Jews, it involved anybody who went against the Nazis .
Do not associate Natzis with all Germans.

Rambling

Rambling Report 27 Jan 2020 23:32

It is hard to give definitive advice when the OP gave so little info and hasn't returned to the thread.

Gillian

Gillian Report 29 Jan 2020 22:22

hi found some family members will have to look at F Tree to see if a match thanks everybody for help looked at tree and the last person i have is barnet rosenheim born 1804 in poland but cannot find anybody before him?

Rambling

Rambling Report 29 Jan 2020 22:50

Info on Barnett Rosenheim from a previous thread, advice given to try and find his marriage in Synagogue records?

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/records_office/thread/1134230

Rambling

Rambling Report 29 Jan 2020 22:53

older daughter

ROSENHEIM, LEAH BARNET
GRO Reference: 1838 D Quarter in EAST LONDON UNION Volume 02 Page 166

Youngest on 1861 census ( on prev thread)

ROSEHIEM, SARAH BARNET
GRO Reference: 1841 S Quarter in EAST LONDON UNION Volume 02 Page 181

Rambling

Rambling Report 29 Jan 2020 23:12

An entry on Myheritage has Barnett born Cracow.

Maybe useful re records

https://www.jewishgen.org/jcr-uk/london.htm#database_list

Gillian

Gillian Report 30 Jan 2020 09:10

hi thanks for replies have barnet born in cracow on my tree but cannot go back further to find relatives of his mother/father/siblingsetc dont think i will be able to find this info?i have barent wife as dinah no surname ?

Rambling

Rambling Report 30 Jan 2020 11:20

Her surname is given as Barnett on births on the GRO register, that would seem to be likely , it may also be possible that Barnett took Dinah's surname as his first name? Or it could be coincidence?

Googling Polish / Jewish genealogy, will bring up sites but it is very difficult to find records that early, I've looked previously. Bearing in mind that many records will have been lost, there may still be records held locally that are not online, you may have to try and get a researcher in Poland to access whatever is available there if that's possible.

Gillian

Gillian Report 30 Jan 2020 11:54

hi thanks rambling for advice and help Gill