General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I know this is a silly question

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 27 Jan 2020 22:31

but, why is the DailyMail online calling the Duchess of Cambridge, "Kate Middleton" in multiple articles today? But continuing to use "The Duchess of Cornwall" or "Camilla Duchess of Cornwall"

eg "Kate Middleton meets Holocaust survivor" and "Prince William and Kate Middleton...."

Island

Island Report 27 Jan 2020 23:21

They probably think that as a 'commoner' she's 'no better than she ought to be' or whatever the saying is.

Rambling

Rambling Report 27 Jan 2020 23:35

Island it was just that I noticed the difference, because normally it is either a familiar "Kate" does this or that, or the formal "The Duchess of Cambridge". But it hasn't been "Kate Middleton" since she married :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Jan 2020 00:45

I've noticed that over the last 2 or 3 days, and wondered why, just like you.

The articles are however pretty complimentary to her, so not mean-spirited in that way.

Island

Island Report 28 Jan 2020 09:14

I thought she was often referred to as 'Kate Middleton' - perhaps the 'wrong' headlines leap out at me lol

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 28 Jan 2020 10:38

I thought the same as Island, most headlines I have seen use 'Kate Middleton' the same as they use 'Megan Markle' and Prince Harry. I can't recall them referring to the Countess of Wessex as anything other than by her title.

Barbra

Barbra Report 28 Jan 2020 12:36

News items press reports it's Kate Midddleton why? do they not know her proper title .name Catherine Duchess of Cambridge . :-)

Dermot

Dermot Report 28 Jan 2020 12:56

Sloppy journalism.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Jan 2020 17:29

Countess of Wessex is quite often referred to as Sophie ...... though not with her maiden surname.

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 28 Jan 2020 17:57

Yes, I have read Sophie being referred to by her given name, I don't actually know her maiden surname, or Sophie Countess of Wessex.

Dermot

Dermot Report 28 Jan 2020 18:01

In the UK, rarely do many residents know their immediate neighbours.

Barbra

Barbra Report 28 Jan 2020 18:24

If you do Dermot you get called nosy ;-)

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 28 Jan 2020 18:26

The use of their given name followed by their title eg Diana, Princess of Wales is given to divorcees.

There was a lot of press coverage very recently over an announcement from Buckingham Palace stating Meghan would be known as Meghan, Duchess of Sussex. The palace corrected this stating she would be known simply as the Duchess of Sussex.

The same goes for Catherine and Sophie. I am sure people will say it but it is not correct.

Linda

Linda Report 28 Jan 2020 18:50

Facebook does it as well and it is always being pointed out