General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Official Coronavirus Legislation for the UK

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Mar 2020 00:01

This has been produced:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/129/contents/made

It says (amongst other things) that people who are suspected of having the disease, and who refuse to self isolate can be held for 14 days in a secure location.

Yet, my daughter who works for the NHS, apart from having a pay cut last week, has been told that, if she has a cough, she should self-isolate for 7 days.
Can I see a little bit of contradiction here?

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 17 Mar 2020 09:52

There was a NHS Consultant on BBC Radio4 "Today" who was told to self isolate for 7 days but it was changed yesterday to 14 days and she has to do the extra week.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Mar 2020 10:41

Bit late, though, isn't it?

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 17 Mar 2020 14:25

The Metro today says that if you feel ill or have got the virus, then you should self-isolate for 7 days, but if you have been in contact with someone who has it then it's 14 days (quarantine.)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 17 Mar 2020 14:52

I'm not panicking, but it has made me question meeting in groups.
What is a group?
I planned to attend a funeral this week and will want to attend another soon, yet to be arranged.
Is that frowned upon?

Caroline

Caroline Report 17 Mar 2020 16:49

I think it is if you're all sitting close to each other sad to say.
Do you know where it is will there be room to space out so to speak?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 17 Mar 2020 18:04

Poor man had been an invalid at home for many years, so it's a job to say how many will want to attend.
He was looked after by his wife and carers from an agency, but I'm guessing that the carers will perhaps not attend, as their other clients will be very vulnerable.

I think there is likely to be plenty of room to space ourselves at the crematorium.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Mar 2020 18:09

Well, this thread shows just how 'clear' Government advice has been! :-S

Allan

Allan Report 17 Mar 2020 21:25

Regarding funerals, this advice has been posted by our local Funeral Director.

I was to attend a funeral today, but as it will be webcast I'll watch it at home :-(

"Following advice and direction from the Metropolitan Cemeteries Board and the Health Department of WA, we must make significant changes to our operations.
We work on the front line and must take these steps to not only ensure the safety of our staff but also, the vulnerable families we interact with every day.
It breaks our heart to make this statement but the Covid-19 pandemic is a severe threat to our community and we need play our part in slowing the spread.

- Funerals already planned will go ahead as arranged.
- From tomorrow (March 17), any future funerals will need to be private/immediate family funerals with a maximum of 50 people in attendance. Public gatherings have been identified as a risk and funerals are no exception.
- Funerals arranged from tomorrow (March 17) will not be able to have catering afterwards or limousine services.
- Effective immediately, family members who have travelled from overseas will not be permitted to attend as per Federal regulations.

Please be assured that we will do our best to arrange recordings and/or webcasts of services. There is also the option of hosting a large memorial services at a later date.

We ask for your cooperation in not attending services or arrangements if you have any symptoms of illness even the slightest sore throat. We ask for the same cooperation if you have been in contact with a person diagnosed with Covid-19 within 14 days.

We understand that these measures are especially difficult during a time of grief where a hug, kiss and handshake are natural ways to show care but we do know that COVID-19 spreads through close contact with an infected person, mostly face-to-face.

Please keep safe and minimise your risk of exposure."

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Mar 2020 23:48

More information than we have! :-(

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 18 Mar 2020 09:02

I attended my late aunt's husband's funeral by webcast a few months ago as they lived too far from us. One cousin who lived neared to them attended.

It is ideal for those too ill or living too far away to attend.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 Mar 2020 10:29

Allan,
That gives very clear information regarding funerals there.

Some of us are wondering if there will be a small family funeral for our very dear friend, then perhaps a memorial service at some later time.
Such a tough time for families in an already difficult situation.

Allan

Allan Report 18 Mar 2020 10:49

I did watch the webcast and it was actually sad to see that so few people turned up as he was known to so many. At least eleven others were watching (the numbers appear on the Screen)

Still, I suppose that is the new norm for the time being.

I'm off to the doctor's tomorrow and will see how the new system works; I arrive at the surgery and wait outside, I then phone them to let them know that I'm there. When the dr is ready to see me, she'll phone me and then I can go in

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 18 Mar 2020 11:03

Good luck, Allan. :-D

Several years ago I and some old school chums attended the funeral of one of us who died earlier than she should have done.

Sitting in the chapel (Methodist) one of our gang turned round and said that she hoped she would be able to get to our funerals too.

Aghast, we all looks at her and with a big grin on her face she said, 'It means that if I'm attending your funerals, I am still alive.

I bet she will live long too - her parents were in their nineties when they died.

:-D

Allan

Allan Report 19 Mar 2020 08:18

Well the trip to the Doctor went smoothly. Phoned from the car park and within 15 minutes the doctor phoned me and met me in the reception area.

In the consulting room the furniture had been rearranged and lines drawn on the floor so that a distance of at least 1.5 metres was maintained. That was somewhat negated as I had to move to her desk to have my BP taken.

Same in Reception, lines draw on the floor to maintain a safe distance.

Overall, I actually enjoyed the new system as I hate a waiting room full of people suffering from who knows what :-D :-D