General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Say Thank you....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Caroline

Caroline Report 17 Mar 2020 16:44

If you are out and about these days even just walking the streets for fresh air say thank you to any food delivery people or in the store if you dare go in thank the workers there. They're having an awful time of it right now with all the pressure and some people yelling at them as if it's their fault there's nothing there to buy.

And look at the windows and wave to anyone you see inside maybe they're sick and stuck indoors maybe they're not able to get outside. Walking my dog I've seen people sitting there looking out, and I've always got a smile and wave in return.

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 17 Mar 2020 16:50

:-) <3 <3

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 17 Mar 2020 16:52

I put up a post on our local fB page thanking our small local Tesco staff who were working their socks off this morning.

Barbra

Barbra Report 17 Mar 2020 17:04

Bless them all working under duress. Doesn't cost anything to be friendly :-)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 17 Mar 2020 17:46

Great idea Caroline.
I will look out for wavers.

I do say Thank you to people regularly.... the Garden Bin rubbish collector this morning and locally I've noticed most people thank the bus driver, when they get off the bus.

Yesterday, although really busy, a member of staff in Sainsbury's was very helpful, when I asked about juice from the chilled section. Naturally I thanked her, when she went off and found what I'd requested, but she was a little surprised I wasn't going to grab more of this item on offer.
I only wanted one, so that's what I bought.

Sharron

Sharron Report 17 Mar 2020 19:03

When his wife is not at home, my neighbour brings our bin in (He doesn't understand how important they are!).

I opened the window one day and asked him if it was he who had brought it in

He was amazed when I thanked him

Sharron

Sharron Report 17 Mar 2020 19:03

When his wife is not at home, my neighbour brings our bin in (He doesn't understand how important they are!).

I opened the window one day and asked him if it was he who had brought it in

He was amazed when I thanked him

Caroline

Caroline Report 17 Mar 2020 19:45

Exactly it's free to wave and smile and say thanks as needed. Also forcing ourselves to smile when maybe we don't want to will do us good too.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Mar 2020 20:12

We've always said Thank you and Goodbye when leaving our local coffee shop after our regular visit, no matter how busy they are at that moment.

They've always been pleased and somewhat surprised ......... but even more so yesterday when we did it!

It's even more important to do it now.

Tawny

Tawny Report 17 Mar 2020 20:38

I work in retail and things are tough at the moment. We have all the usual problems like I’ve not put money on my car or used your car park and want service now. Coupled with a whole host of new ones. Thank you goes a long way.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Mar 2020 01:19

Tawny, it's amazing how rude people can be, isn't it?
...and I don't work in retail - just notice it :-|

Where I live, we always say 'hello' and wave - in fact, when we complained about our lousy bus service, it was pointed out that we were a very 'sociable' estate - and, apparently, that meant we could put up with our lousy bus service :-S

By 'sociable' I mean you get on the bus and say 'hello' to 5 of the 6 occupants on the bus - then just think s*d it - and say 'hello' to a total stranger! :-D
If 'Newcastle lass', 'oxygen K' or 'A' is on the bus, we start talking politics - and ask the other passengers their views. :-D :-D :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 18 Mar 2020 09:05

I talk to most people I see in the village with a very few exceptions. :-D. I always go out of my way to say hello or at least give a smile to our elderly as for some I might be the only person they see for the rest of the day. I also check with close neighbours to see if they need anything to save them a walk to the shop.
As for manners well I was always bought up with the saying Manners maketh the man and they don't cost you anything.

Dermot

Dermot Report 18 Mar 2020 09:14

Being 'nice' occasionally is a start but not enough.

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 18 Mar 2020 13:05

I always shout 'Thank you' as I get off the bus.

Did the same this morning, and the busdriver stopped especially for me when I got to the zebra crossing and gave me a wave.

Made my day. :-)

Mersey

Mersey Report 18 Mar 2020 13:08

Totally agree with you all....its nothing much to ask and it goes such a long way
<3 <3

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 18 Mar 2020 14:42

Round here almost everyone thanks the bus driver. Some of the roads have sharp, narrow bends and if I am driving and see the bus coming I stop and wait until he's gone past. I always get a thank you wave. :-)