General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Exams

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 19 Mar 2020 08:14

Spare a thought for those teens whose modus operandi is to take it easy during the school year and cram just before exams if, now that our government has decided to ban the exams, it decides to use the year's work to estimate exam results. My children would have been snookered as they always operated that way. :-0

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 19 Mar 2020 08:44

That would have been my son whose motto seemed to be “I can wing it”. Now he’s the one worrying about his daughter who is a hard worker normally but a bit nervy and she likes certainty. Now she is stressing - should she carry on revising at home, if they assess on the previous 2 years’ work has she done enough?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Mar 2020 09:20

My grand daughter was due to take her 'A' levels in June,
She's much better at course work than exams! :-D :-D

Vera, that's so right about the uncertainty, though.

Phyll

Phyll Report 19 Mar 2020 09:27

MY Grandson was due to take A levels this year, I bet he is really pe'd off,

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 19 Mar 2020 18:18

Apparently assessment will be on teacher's opinions which I guess will be ok if you are one of the blue eyed girls and boys not so hot for those with a rebelious streak. AFAIK coursework has been reduced in favour of exams which makes asessment v unfair. For uni/FE assessment by the institution with a def place rather than by the school would probably be fairer.

Inc uni I never did any revising at all beyond re-reading my lecture notes. I just couldn't see the point - if (A level/degree) you didn't know your stuff after 2 or 3 years how much can you take on board and turn into a decent answer in 6 weeks or so? That especially applies to subjects without a lot of "facts" such as maths and languages at O / GCSE level. Besides which revising is streesful and stress is the very last state you want to be in for exams. Playing tennis is a good way to relax before summer exams and evaluations but I guess that will be on the banned list.

It is worth remembering that the object is to pass the exam not become a Mastermind expert on the subject in question. Thus focus on the two or three major topics which are always examined and top up by looking at past papers for what is likely to be next on the menu. Multi choice questions where you haven't got a clue can be defeated by guessing but stay with the same number/letter for all guesses.

Teachers of course will consider the whole syllabus not the objeective of passing an exam. Swots heaven then - maybe B Johnson , the ultimate lazy pupil, will intervene? Not having the right uniform neat n tidy, being late could well count against a hopeful pupil.

Maybe ( for A level ) just taking a gap year could be the best option. Downside is that UK students will have no rights to temp jobs in the EU while OZ is not everybody's cuppa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7zDXlmGR3k

Caroline

Caroline Report 19 Mar 2020 18:34

My daughter is going to be doing online exams for her Uni course. They're making them use software that will stop them using any function on their keyboard like searching the internet. They will be filming their eye movement so the Prof can look at their performance if they suddenly get great marks, and they will be taping background noise to hear if anyone gives you the answer.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 19 Mar 2020 19:12

Well, apparently it's going to be a mix of things that is going to count towards grades.

I disagree about coursework v exam, Rollo. I am not sure where coursework is still being done at home too but I know of one senior teacher who did her child's coursework for her in exchange for the child doing some housework. Also, I know of a shed-load of kids who wait until last minute to cram for exams.

I agree with you, though, about favouritism. Having said that, my daughter was one of those blue-eyed girls who ought to fit the bill as you wrote .... except she wouldn't because she was so bolshie when she was that age. My son, green-eyed, was so liked by one particular teacher that she told me she wished he was hers. That was a new one on me!

I am not sure that many A-level students would take a gap year at all. I think some will simply repeat the year, beginning in September if schools open then.

Dermot

Dermot Report 19 Mar 2020 19:32

Teachers are bound to do their utmost towards fulfilling the students’ expectations. Every lesson shapes a life.

Not sure how missed lessons are to be evaluated. Some wise & learned Actuary will probably produce a formula.