General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bloods

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Island

Island Report 19 Mar 2020 11:31

I've booked a routine blood letting for tomorrow but beg the question - how to maintain a 6 foot distance between patient and phlebotomist? :-S
Extra long needle and a good aim?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Mar 2020 11:35

Ouch!!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 19 Mar 2020 12:06

I wondered about this last week, when I had routine blood test and yearly review of medications.

We were screened outside before we even got into the waiting room and if we passed the questions we applied hand sanitizer and proceeded into the building, where the chairs had been spaced wide apart.

Blood pressure taken ( who else had used that cuff ?) then blood test.

I guess they can only do so much about distance.

Daughter called in to hospital reception yesterday to collect hearing aid batteries in case we go into lockdown.
She went to hand in the book, which records use, but receptionist said 'Oh no, we're not touching books' and asked which ones she needed. Receptionist didn't even look at the book, whereas normally it's ...no book... no batteries.

Island

Island Report 19 Mar 2020 13:36

Thanks for the chuckle Ann :-D Much appreciated.

Gwyn, our system is appointments only and never more than 3 waiting outside and two nurses/patients in the room
I'll be having 'the cuff' next week at the RA clinic :-(
Not touching books? What about the battery packaging? :-S

Island

Island Report 19 Mar 2020 13:41

I hope this thread has been useful to the silent 18 :-P :-P :-P

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 19 Mar 2020 13:54

Is the Phlebotomist a darts champ ;-) :-D :-D :-D

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 19 Mar 2020 14:13

Our surgery doesn't do bloods.....have to go to the local hospital :-(

On a good day there will only be 30 in front of you but those days are few and far between :-( The norm is between 80-100....gawd knows how they do this metre distancing :-0

Island

Island Report 19 Mar 2020 14:18

Most of them score a bullseye LG :-0 :-D

Island

Island Report 19 Mar 2020 14:20

I don't go to either Belle, they have a room at the local pool :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 19 Mar 2020 14:26

Perhaps they could challenge mine to a match as mine could do with the practise :-D :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 19 Mar 2020 15:27

Hygienists are out of work for a while - dangerous job.

Island

Island Report 19 Mar 2020 18:41

:-S :-S :-S

As far as I know, hygienists don't take blood samples Dermot :-S

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Mar 2020 20:15

Thank goodness that I have no scheduled visits to the doctor or the clinic for blood tests ............ will have to go in late May or early June for new prescriptions IF the worst of this has eased off.

Currently pharmacists here are being allowed to renew even yearly prescriptions with a doctor having to write a new one ......... and that applies even to opioids.

That's to ease the routine work from the doctor.

My physio's office however emailed this morning to say they are now closed until April 6. I had an appointment on March 31 ............. I depend on those regular visits to keep moving and ease the pain.

Allan

Allan Report 19 Mar 2020 21:02

I'll let you know the protocols here soon, as I have to go for my regular six-monthly blood tests next week.

Saw the dr yesterday to get the referral and she never mentioned any specific precautions, although I did notice that chairs had been placed outside the lab under the verandah.

Perhaps take a ticket and wait for your number to be called?

Just so long as my number is not 'up' ;-) :-D :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 20 Mar 2020 08:15

My OH had a text last night regarding the follow up appointment after a minor op. It will now be done by phone or video call.
OH thinks they could be arrested if they do the latter :-D

Mersey

Mersey Report 20 Mar 2020 08:37

Hiya Island <3 <3

Close your eyes and think of sumfink nice :-D :-D ;-)

Island

Island Report 20 Mar 2020 08:43

Morning Mersey :-D
I always avert my eyes and do the la la la mantra :-D

Island

Island Report 20 Mar 2020 08:48

That must be a relief having no upcoming appointments Sylvia. I have three coming up :-( I just want to get on with the business of isolation.

Jane

Jane Report 20 Mar 2020 18:10

I had to go to the hospital this morning for bloods .No screening ,chairs in the waiting room still crammed next to eachother :-S.. I was lucky and was called in straightway .I kept my gloves and mask on too :-D

Island

Island Report 20 Mar 2020 19:04

That's not good Jane. People can still sit apart but there will always be some irriot who will plonk themselves right next to someone else even if there are plenty of chairs - as happened to me in January, I had to yank my coat out from under his backside :-| :-|