General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Idiots guide help needed please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 20 Mar 2020 15:03

I know this has been answered for me quite a long time ago, but it is to do with relationships sooooo what would this person be to me, we share great grandparents, his grandfather and my grandmother are siblings and his daughter has just had a baby so what is that relationship to me also.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 20 Mar 2020 15:33

His daughter and your parent are first cousins, so daughter's child and you are second cousins.

Draw a mini tree, starting with great grandparents at the top. Have two lines down for two of their children, then two more lines to their children, and so on. Keep the two columns level. Join the two people concerned with a line. If it's level (horizontal), the two people are siblings, then first cousins, then second cousins and so on down the generations. If the line is at an angle, you add once removed, twice removed and so on for each generation difference.

So, in your example above, the new baby and your children would be second cousins once removed. The new baby and your grandchildren would be second cousins twice removed and so on.

I hope that makes sense.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 Mar 2020 16:28

I would have thought your parent and his parent are cousins. You and this other person are second cousins. The other person's daughter and you are second cousins once removed and you and the new baby are second cousins twice removed.

Kath. x

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 20 Mar 2020 16:32

I have to take issue with Andysmum's explanation.
If your grandparents are siblings then your parents are first cousins.
Therefor you and this person are second cousins.
His daughter would be your second cousin, once removed and her new baby your second cousin, twice removed.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 20 Mar 2020 16:45

I agree, MargaretM. I lost a generation in the process and I'm sorry if I misled anyone. :-(